Close up shot of a man strumming a yellow guitar on stage. Pic is just of his hands and the guitar.
Alejandro Escovedo strums his guitar on the TD Stage on Sept. 15 [Photo by Nisse Anonby/The Charlatan]

A hot September Sunday afternoon had Lansdowne buzzing and alive on CityFolk’s last day. 

To kick off day five, Sonia G kindled that heat on a small stage outside the festival gates with a classic Canadian folk sound. 

Amid shouts and whistles cheering her on, the 29-year-old serenaded the plaza with familiar covers, prompting applause from the crowd and even some toe tapping from event security.

Women with a ponytail and a grey shirt sings in front of a mic with a guitar.
Sonia G performs outside the festival on Sept. 15 [Photo by Nisse Anonby/The Charlatan]
Dedicating songs to her mom and tenderly referring to her recovery from an autoimmune disorder, Sonia’s lyrics permeated her music with themes of melancholy and hope. 

In an interview after her set, Sonia said CityFolk was “really special” to her, as it marked her first experience playing at a festival of this size. 

First up on the TD Stage was social-media star Billianne. The charismatic singer invited the crowd to share in the moment with her, saying she was “tired of always missing out on right here, right now.” 

Billianne enticed the audience with old and new songs alike, building emotional tension with soulful ballads on guitar and piano. “Simply the Best” was a hit with the crowd, as was her new pop-inspired single, “Crush.”

Following Billianne was Alejandro Escovedo, who used a multi-genre soundscape to draw in an eclectic crowd.

Escovedo’s Echo Dancing album cover shone through a projector while the Texan rocker made use of old-timey microphones and shoegaze pedals. Meanwhile, his drummer held the beat and the keyboardist worked two keys at once. 

Concealed by grave lyrics and the brim of his hat, Escovedo pounded out synth-rock and country tunes as the sky darkened and the stage began to light up the lawn.

Next up was fellow Texan and country-pop singer Maren Morris,. Even those unfamiliar with her name have likely felt her influence through her collaborations with artists ranging from Taylor Swift to Hozier

In anticipation of the performance, many fans piled up at the barricade before the stage, including Rheann Quenneville and her sister Dredann. Rheann said she admired Morris’ impact and presence in the music industry.

“I love when women take up space,” Rheann said.

“It sounds cheesy, but it’s because she’s such a girl’s girl; what she does is empowering,” added Dredann. 

Wearing combat boots, a padded-shoulder leather jacket and a backwards cap, Morris made her riveting entrance following her jumpsuit-clad band. Even with her small stature, the singer commanded the stage with her powerful stance. 

Woman in all black and a black cap sings on stage with a black mic amid a blue backdrop.
Country-pop singer Maren Morris performs on the TD Stage on Sept. 15 [Photo by Nisse Anonby/The Charlatan]
“I can always tell by song two if the crowd is fucking crazy,” Morris said to the crowd. “It’s gonna be a fun night.”

Between songs, Morris also took the opportunity to share her recent emotional struggles with the audience.

“I was at the beginning of a very long shit show last fall, and it feels like it’s over now,” Morris said midway through the show, alluding to her recent divorce from country musician Ryan Hurd.

Morris then dedicated the song “The Tree” to those still “going through the tunnel.”

Wrapping up the evening, the crowd enjoyed Morris’ final songs, which featured powerful vocals, effortless runs and catchy fan favourites “My Church,” “Shade” and “80s Mercedes.” 

Featured image by Nisse Anonby/The Charlatan.