Jack Johnson performs at Bluesfest. He is smiling at the crowd, holding an acoustic guitar.
Jack Johnson performs at Bluesfest on Friday July 8, 2022 in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Greg Kulz via Bluesfest]

As the crowds trickled into LeBreton Flats under the searing sun, Bluesfest Day Two kept the day’s heat burning with stellar performances from local performers, Canadian icons and international stars.

Early audiences were privy to NAMBI & The Rhythm’s intimate performance. The hour-long set by the Ottawa-grown singer-songwriter and her band brought up the energy with acoustic R&B grooves and salutes to the Black experience with songs such as “Vitamin D.” NAMBI, who told the audience she grew up coming to Bluesfest and saving her money for tickets, said it was an “honour” to play the main stage, and had everyone singing along in no time.

NAMBI performs at Bluesfest. She is smiling and pointing to the crowd.
NAMBI performs at Bluesfest on Friday, July 8, 2022 in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Greg Kulz via Bluesfest]
On the River Stage, shadows grew long as local performers Mack & Ben’s strong and soulful voices had crowds swaying and moving. Most notable was Mack’s confident posture, unwavering voice and commanding stage presence, which captured the attention of the entire field. 

Impeccably in sync, the sibling duo enraptured audiences with long, strong notes and songs about crushes and loves gone by.

Mack & Ben perform at Bluesfest. Mack is holding her microphone stand and smiling to the audience.
Mack & Ben perform at Bluesfest on Friday, July 8, 2022 in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Greg Kulz via Bluesfest].
Perhaps even more intimate and enthralling was Amanda Lowe’s performance inside the Canadian War Museum’s Barney Danson Theatre. Surrounded by what appeared to be flowers made of tissue paper, Lowe made the indoor theatre feel even cozier. Audience members of all ages sat and listened, so quiet they could hear a pin drop in between notes. 

Between fan favourites and unreleased songs about her family, Lowe provided touching commentary. Her nearly-teary and honest descriptions of her songs about her love for family had audience members holding their breath. She kept her performance light between songs to remind audience members to stay hydrated in the summer heat. She giggled about the hurt and heartbreak she experienced during the COVID-19 pandemic before playing “Dreams,” an unreleased song about reconnecting with someone from her past.

After Lowe’s set, audiences felt the festival’s energy spike back up as Tash Sultana took to the main stage. Sultana played the first four songs solo, uninterrupted by dialogue or introduction, and almost immediately had people dancing and lifting up onto each other’s shoulders.

Jumping and skipping across the stage, she played hits such as “Pretty Lady” and “Jungle” with several instruments, a looper and sheer musical talent. The audience matched her energy by bopping along, captured by the amount of fun she seemed to be having onstage.

Tash Sultana performs at Bluesfest. She jumps in the air holding her electric guitar.
Tash Sultana performs at Bluesfest on Friday, July 8, 2022 in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Greg Kulz via Bluesfest]
When Sultana did speak, she kept it short and sweet: A thank you, a quick quip about trauma and an introduction to her band. An audience member shouted for her to take off her sunglasses and she obliged, adding to the jovial and upbeat energy in the crowd.

Jack Johnson finished off Day 2 with the largest crowd of the night, as audience members young and old packed in front of the main stage, both standing and sitting on picnic blankets.

Every song told a story, and every fan was enthralled. His friendly nature packed the house as he played songs including “Banana Pancakes,” “Better Together” and “Upside Down.”

Even as the day cooled off, Johnson’s energy kept audience members’ hearts warm long into the night.

Featured image by Greg Kolz.