Home Arts Review of Bluesfest Day Six: Cowboy hats, ponchos and cold beers

Review of Bluesfest Day Six: Cowboy hats, ponchos and cold beers

216
Ottawa Bluesfest headliner Zac Brown Band performs on July 10, 2024. [Photo by Greg Kolz via Bluesfest]

Music fans of all ages gathered to stomp their cowboy boots around in the mud for Ottawa Bluesfest day six.

Despite the looming threat of inclement weather, headliner Zac Brown Band along with artists Charley Crockett and Matthew Good gradually drew a sizeable crowd to LeBreton Flats.

Guelph-based alt-country band Nicolette and the Nobodies started the festival with a small crowd at the RBC Stage, as the delayed festival start awkwardly clashed with the band’s slated performance time. 

However, as attendees haltingly entered the festival trudging through the heavy mud, a modest crowd began to form against the barriers.

At the sheltered SiriusXM Stage, country artist and Zac Brown Band’s only female member Caroline Jones performed her own intimate set, gracefully plucking away at her guitar with her signature Alaska Piks.

Singer-songwriter Caroline Jones performs at Ottawa Bluesfest on July 10, 2024. [Photo by Natasha Baldin/The Charlatan]
She gave heartfelt renditions of “Don’t Talk to Me Like I’m Tiffany” and “Being A Woman (Is Like Being The Sun),” the latter of which she said has taken on a whole new meaning since becoming a mother. 

She also shouted out Zac Brown Band, who she playfully referred to as her “little side gig.”

Toronto-based group Blackburn Brothers followed Jones’ performance and truly put the “blues” in Bluesfest.

The brothers spoke sparingly to the audience, but dazzled with their instrumental skills and bombastic energy, complemented by the impressive, flashy stage lighting. 

They performed a mix of their own material and covers, including a gorgeous rendition of Bill Withers’ “Ain’t No Sunshine.” 

During the lull between performances, the rain began to let up. Attendees wearing cowboy hats and blue jeans were passionately crushing beer cans and cheering as the crew set up for the next performance.

Singer-songwriter Charley Crockett took the RBC Stage next to share his Texan pride, kicking off with a performance of “10$ Cowboy,” the title track of his new album.

Charley Crockett performs at Ottawa Bluesfest on July 10, 2024. [Photo by Natasha Baldin/The Charlatan]
He followed up with hits “Welcome to Hard Times” and “I’m Just a Clown,” impressing the crowd with his deep voice and laid-back old country sound. 

“Tonight, standing in front of you folks… This thing that I’m doing, it ain’t nothing but the blues,” Crockett said, adding that he never imagined playing at Bluesfest. 

An influx of attendees who weren’t willing to stand in fickle weather for hours finally pooled into the venue ahead of Zac Brown Band’s set.

The Atlanta band kicked things off with a trumpet rendition of the “Rocky Theme” before jumping straight into a performance of “Keep Me In Mind,” energizing the crowd to new heights. 

“This is going to be a f****** awesome night,” said Brown before playing hits “Toes” and “Colder Weather,” as well as covering The Rolling Stones’ “Paint It Black” and “The Devil Went Down To Georgia” by Charlie Daniels Band.

They ended the night with an encore of their hit song “Chicken Fried,” which acted as a feel-good send-off to the cheering attendees.

Simultaneously at the River Stage, Canadian alternative artist Matthew Good attracted an impressive, dedicated crowd for his tender performance.

The crowd sang along to oldies such as “Hello Time Bomb” as well as new songs posted to his website.

As the festivities came to a close, the sea of country-clad festival goers crowded to the exit and nearby bus stops, still riding their musical high.

Featured image by Greg Kolz.

Exit mobile version