Home Arts Review: Lake Street Dive is undeniably ‘Good Together’ at Ottawa Jazz Festival

Review: Lake Street Dive is undeniably ‘Good Together’ at Ottawa Jazz Festival

61
Lake Street Dive main singer in a pink power suit, hold the mic and sings on stage with her band.
Lake Street Dive performs a mix of old and new songs at the Ottawa Jazz Festival on June 27, 2024. [Photo by Natasha Baldin/The Charlatan]

No matter how good a discography might sound through your headphones or a car stereo, there are some bands whose sound takes on a life of its own when they’re playing right in front of you.

As soon as they took the stage at the Ottawa Jazz Festival, Lake Street Dive proved to be one of those bands.

With an eclectic cross-pollination of soul, folk and classical pop with smooth brass undertones, Lake Street Dive’s unique sound has something for every listener.

Fresh off their latest album Good Together, released just six days before their Ottawa appearance, lead singer Rachael Price told the crowd this would be one of their first times playing the new tracks in front of a live audience.

The synthy opening notes of the new album’s title track, “Good Together,” came blasting through the speakers, setting a groovy tone for the rest of the evening.

A sunny portrayal of two hopeless romantics finding themselves in their first relationship, the song was brought to life on stage in a playful back-and-forth between Price and the band’s keyboardist Akie Bermiss.

Alongside tracks from the new album, Lake Street Dive sprinkled in some familiar favourites. A true highlight was “Hypotheticals,” as Price showed off her immense vocal talents while singing about the wistful imaginings of being with someone new.

Bridget Kearney on the cello, Michael Calabrese on the drums, Bermiss on the keyboard and James Cornelison on guitar all brought their own musical flair, melding their sounds into one cohesive blend to create a kaleidoscopic listening experience.

While many of the band’s tracks feature brassy undertones, this one feature was missing from the first part of the set. That is, until they invited the members of High & Mighty Brass Band on stage for a few songs — the same musicians who collaborated on Lake Street’s Good Together recording.

Price then delivered a flawless cover of Shania Twain’s “If You’re Still The One,” prefacing the song with Twain’s Canadian origins, garnering applause from the audience. 

Despite experiencing mic problems during the next few songs, Price continued to jive and smile toward the audience while technicians came out to resolve the issues.

Amid a set of upbeat songs, Lake Street Dive still knows their way around a ballad. Price captivated the audience with her smooth tones and command of the stage in “Twenty-Five,” backed only by Bermiss on the piano.

Price invited audience members to introduce themselves to the person beside them as the opening beats of  “Dance With A Stranger” filled the air, bringing the crowd together to dance along to this contagious beat straight off an 80s pop radio station.

Songs “Party On A Rooftop” and “You Go Down Smooth” finished the set, where Cornelison’s guitar talents shone with his impeccable riffs to counter Kearney’s groove on the bass.

The cheers continued as the musicians promptly exited the stage. But Lake Street Dive hadn’t yet played a few familiar favourites. Everyone knew there was more.

The band emerged to perform three more classics from their discography, starting with “What I’m Doing Here” from their 2014 album, followed by “Rich Girl” from their 2011 album.

Saving the best for last, the band ended the night with the fan-favourite “Good Kisser” — an undeniably upbeat breakup song reminding an ex to paint their partner in a good light.

With an eclectic mix of old and new songs, Lake Street Dive’s set surely appeased every fan. The crowd filtered out of Confederation Park and into the chilly evening, reliving every moment of the immersive experience.

Featured image by Natasha Baldin.