The Great Canadian Theatre Company (GCTC) hosted How Black Mothers Say I Love You on March 8, a play that highlights a mother’s love and sacrifice for her family, amidst dysfunction and turmoil following the sudden death of her younger daughter, Chloe (Bénédicte Bélizaire).

It’s only fitting that the play’s opening night fell on International Women’s Day.

The theatre’s atmosphere was light, with traditional Caribbean music playing in the background, setting the mood. People made their way to seats, filling each one, while dancing to the beat.

Transitioning to the beginning of the play, the play’s lead character, Daphne (Lucinda Davis), rushed to the kitchen to prepare some food while playing some music on the kitchen radio. The transition had ease, which made the start of the play powerful.

We are introduced to all the characters early on in the play. The sudden pause of the music brought out the plot of the show: a dysfunctional relationship between Daphne and her daughter Claudette (Malube).

Throughout the play, Claudette’s character stayed firm and serious, contrary to her sister Valerie (Samantha Walkes), who tries to relieve any tension within the household, as she herself has struggles with her husband and individual decision-making.

Progressing through the play, I found the relationships very similar to modern families. Claudette, being the younger sister, feels her mother abandoned them for a better future without kids.

The story reveals that Daphne left both Claudette and Valerie when they were younger, but not for a better future. She wanted to give them a future she never had; a future that was ultimately better than hers.

I get it: the pains of a mother leaving and not being there for a daughter is hard, especially when the daughter has to figure out how to live for herself. However, the mother did come back to rebuild the relationships with her daughters. Claudette refused to even think positively about her mother, with a scene portraying her emotions. Daphne called her “selfish, and ungrateful,” and quite frankly, I agree.

Daphne did everything she could to help Claudette while she stayed at the house, a rare scene for both. Growing up Baptist, Daphne recalls Bible scripture and encourages Claudette to go to church, to no avail.

There was one scene where Claudette does agree to go to church, but only if her mother goes to her weekly doctor appointments, as she was suffering from cancer. The three headed upstairs to try on hats and pick which dresses to wear for Sunday service.

This scene was to alleviate the growing tensions, but it took too much from the play. The characters acted like finding a hat for church was the biggest priority in the world, and having that provide comedic relief might’ve been insulting for Baptist audience members.

Although gone, Chloe never left Daphne, as she appears to her several times through spiritual intervention. A scene concluded her involvement in the play, when the mother tells her to wait in heaven a little longer.

What caught my attention was Chloe’s role in trying to break the other two sisters apart.

At first it was confusing, and didn’t work at times. However, we find out that Chloe was the “princess” who always got mom’s love and attention.

Considering the characters, they used the stage to move and portray emotion really well, which made the show feel real. Despite repetitive themes of ungratefulness, connections between every sibling were effective, and emotional.

The story worked: it applies to many single parent families around the world and learning to live with the changes. The ending of the play focused on the mother’s forgiveness and Claudette’s realization that the mother did everything she could in order for her and Valerie to have a better future.

What did I take away? Mothers have different ways of saying “I love you” to their kids. The spirit of the show revolved around family, and the different personalities within a family. The differences among the family members were on full display, as Daphne must respect Claudette’s sexuality.

Overall, How Black Mothers Say I Love You impressed on opening night, leaving audience members satisfied with laughs and a message.