I take comfort in sitting down and watching my favourite shows, but when a change in show production affects plot, I was worried and excited. After it was announced that Kevin Spacey’s character (Frank Underwood) would be killed off due to the allegations of sexual misconduct, I was worried about the new changes to the show, due to public criticism even before the trailer had dropped. Robin Wright (Claire Underwood/Hale) is a phenomenal actor, but could she carry the legacy of the show alone, I wondered?

The simple answer: Yes—yes, she can.

This felt comfort in feeling that the new season of House of Cards was the similar, badass show I knew, complete with all the twists and turns I was used to, even after losing the lead actor.

The combination of perfect timing in the end of Season Five, Robyn White’s amazing acting, and the continuation of character development kept me feeling like not much had changed. I was excited at the season five finale to hear from Claire’s perspective.

While this season is just as bingeable as the rest of them with unanswered questions, murder, assassination attempts, scandal and the classic Underwood –or should I say Hale­–plotting.

This season proved that you can carry a show on without a problematic actor and replace them with a powerful female lead. I just hope the viewership statistics show the success I see in the series and in the new age of female leads. Claire knows that viewers are going to comment on her control over her emotions, lack of children and ability to handle a ‘man’s job,’ and she plays into every stereotype to her advantage. I’m hoping that this will open doors to not only more female actors but queer, disabled folk and/or people of colour. It’s a show about politics—you didn’t think this review would get political?

Overall, while I am sad to see Frank Underwood’s character killed off, I don’t miss him at all. Robin Wright’s house of cards is more than unstable enough to carry the season on its own.

Graphic by Paloma Callo