The Ottawa company of Come From Away brought Newfie passion, energy and generosity to the NAC stage. [Photo by Matthew Murphy/NAC]

It’s Sept. 11, 2001. In the aftermath of 9/11, all planes are directed to land at the nearest airport. For 38 planes, that means touching down in Gander, Newfoundland.

Each passenger has their own story — their own reason for getting on a plane that day. But the 7,000 passengers who find themselves in Gander all have one thing in common: while the sleepy Maritime town is not their intended destination, it quickly becomes their second home.

Through Newfoundland-inspired folk tunes delivered by an energetic cast, Come From Away tells the true story of the small town with a massive heart that unites around the stranded passengers.

It’s not often that a story with such strong Canadian roots takes centre stage internationally. Come From Away has quickly become a point of pride for many Canadians since its 2017 Broadway debut, and rightly so — the musical showcases Canadian values of kindness and generosity.

At the August 22 opening-night performance, this heartfelt story carried further meaning for many: the show’s writers and inspiration were in the audience.

As the show’s final notes echoed through the theatre, co-writer and Ottawa native David Hein invited the true Gander citizens and “Come From Aways” — the real people who were on those grounded planes 23 years ago — to join him on stage.

“On day one, we met 7,000 strangers. On day three, we had 7,000 friends. On day five, we lost 7,000 family members,” said Claude Elliott, the 2001 mayor of Gander.

It must be immensely special to see the story of compassion and generosity you witnessed first-hand come to life and touch the hearts of those around you.

If the impassioned looks on the plane passengers’ faces were any indication, it seems co-writers Hein and Irene Sankoff alongside director Christopher Ashley did the story justice.

From the cascading political discomforts emerging from 9/11 to the fear-turned solace nurtured in the Gander community, the show’s ability to form an emotional bond with its audience is one of its greatest strengths. 

The performance began with a bang in “Welcome To The Rock” — an upbeat introduction to the island town. The cast united in powerful, foot-stomping melodies to introduce a setting characterized by Newfie accents, witty humour and immeasurable warmth.

The show continued to highlight a celebratory Maritime throughline. In “Screech In,” locals initiated the passengers into Newfie culture at the bar, taking a shot of “screech” and kissing a cod.

While a small neon Molson Canadian sign was the only visual indication of the setting, the immeasurable ambiance of the Newfie bar was more than enough to bring this environment to life. The band came on stage playing upbeat shanty tunes as the cast playfully danced around them.

The stunning 12-member ensemble took on all roles throughout the show, sharing experiences of plane passengers and townspeople alike. Each actor seamlessly transitioned between accents, costumes and mannerisms to embody the personality of each character they were portraying.

Cailin Stadnyk as the pilot, Beverley, was captivating in “Me And The Sky,” as her vocals emoted tinges of sadness amid powerful belts. Through compelling storytelling, she chronicled her character’s journey of climbing the ranks of female pilothood, only to watch the planes she loved turned into a bomb.

Caitlin Stadnyk as Barbara emoted passion and sadness while chronicling her character’s pilot journey in Come From Away. [Photo by Matthew Murphy/NAC]

Sankoff — the show’s co-writer who joined the Ottawa company as Bonnie — brought heartwarming charm and vocal earnestness as she cared for the animals (including bonobo apes) on the planes.

After being pulled aside at the Canadian border and subjected to an invasive body search, Ali Momen as Ali poignantly portrayed his character’s discomfort and confusion as those around him became increasingly weary of his Muslim identity.

Compassion emitted from every performer, sending waves of Canadian pride through the Babs Asper Theatre after curtain call. Greeted by thunderous applause, the “Come From Aways” took the stage to individually embrace the actor who shared their story.

Nearly 23 years later, it’s clear that this heartfelt connection to Gander is still something they cherish. It’s a living example that kindness has the power to change lives.

Come From Away is playing at the Babs Asper Theatre at the National Arts Centre until Sept. 1. Tickets are available on the NAC’s website.

Featured image by Matthew Murphy.