AM

Arctic Monkeys

Released by Domino

It has been two years since the Arctic Monkeys released their last album, Suck It and See, but the time off didn’t hurt. They’ve finally released their fifth and probably best album, AM.

“Do I Wanna Know” is the leading track to this album, not only setting the stage for the album but setting the standard the band wants to follow. The track’s stomping intro leads into its hypnotizing chorus which explodes into an even larger version of itself. This is also the first time we hear the band using falsetto harmonies, something they use throughout the album to great results.

“R U Mine” brings the attack and explosiveness the band is known for, and its fills are enjoyable each time you hear them.

“One for the Road” brings the album to a mellow place, with its heavy verses and calming vocals.

“Arabella” starts off much the same way but then effortlessly switches gears to heavy rock without losing its sense of continuity.

“I Want It All” follows a much more standard rock song feel, and at its most basic is probably the only low note of the album.

The album stands out from previous Arctic Monkeys albums for two reasons.

Its clear lyrical finesse and the obvious effort to make an album rather than a collection of songs. The latter is obvious when listening through the first three or four tracks which all bear a similar ambience and feel like there was an effort to create an album with a cohesive sound.

“No. 1 Party Anthem” brings the album out of its dark night time feeling, to a song that sounds like someone took the end of Eric Clapton’s “Layla” and made the most tender ballad from it.

“Mad Sounds” continues this feeling, sounding like the soundtrack to the first drops of sun after a long night. “Fireside” comes off as a more driving cover of “Brother Down” by Sam Roberts.

“Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re High?” takes the thump and layering of the opening track and mixes it with the mellowness and reverb of the rest of the album to make one of the definite stand out songs on the album.

“Snap Out of It” sounds like the score to a gothic-burlesque show. The last two songs on the album “Knee Socks” and “I Wanna Be Yours” continue the album’s dark and reverb-heavy feel but doesn’t take it anywhere different.

All in all, AM is a step in the right direction for the Arctic Monkeys and a great album overall. It only stumbles on a few easily forgivable tracks, but these also keep it from being classic. If the band continues to make albums this solid they could be the next Oasis.