Morfydd Clark in The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power [Image from IMDb]

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power is a must-see for all fantasy fans. Sept. 1 was the long-awaited arrival date of the show’s first two episodes, streaming on Amazon Prime. This much-anticipated series brings much-needed representation of women and people of colour to Middle Earth, while remaining true to familiar characters and storylines. 

However, The Rings of Power has J. R. R. Tolkien fans divided, with some voicing concerns over deviations from Tolkien’s writings and the creation of new characters. 

Based on Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings appendices, The Rings of Power is set in Middle Earth thousands of years before the much-beloved Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogies. The series is set in the Second Age and covers the forging of the Rings of Power and the rise of Lord Sauron. It features some familiar characters, including elves Galadriel and Elrond, as well as several original characters.

The show has received criticism over the portrayal of Galadriel, played by Morfydd Clark. A popular character from Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings, she has formerly been depicted as a wise, kind leader. In The Rings of Power, a much younger Galadriel is a fearsome elven warrior who is set on banishing evil from Middle Earth. Some fans believe that Galadriel’s more assertive side is an inaccurate depiction of Tolkien’s beloved character. 

However, it is important to note that The Rings of Power takes place thousands of years before The Lord of the Rings, and a lot can change in that time. 

Galadriel also brings a more dynamic representation of female characters to the franchise, something that The Lord of the Rings films and novels lacked. This new Galadriel proves that the women of Middle Earth can do more than sit still and look pretty.

People of colour are also better represented in The Rings of Power compared to earlier films in the franchise. Elves, dwarves and Harfoots alike include characters played by racialized actors. This is a refreshing and much-needed change in the fantasy world. Previously, The Lord of the Rings characters were primarily white.  

Also filmed in New Zealand, The Rings of Power features gorgeous landscapes and set design. From Lindon, to Khazad-Dhûm, to the Sundering Seas, each location is a beautiful rendition of Tolkien’s world. 

Perhaps the most impressive thing about The Rings of Power is its musical score. Ontario-native Howard Shore, the composer of The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogies, also composed the main theme of The Rings of Power. Tasked with composing the rest of the score was Bear McCreary, known for his Battlestar Galactica and Outlander scores. McCreary captured the essence of Tolkien’s writings in his compositions, masterfully incorporating themes from Shore’s familiar score with new material. 

Music is not the only thing about The Rings of Power that echoes the original trilogies. The relationships between characters are reminiscent of the beloved Hobbit company and “The Fellowship of the Ring,” the first installment of The Lord of the Rings trilogy. In particular, the friendship between Elrond and Durin IV reflects that of Legolas and Gimli. This humorous banter between characters helps balance out the darker aspects of the show. 

Overall, The Rings of Power is an excellent new fantasy series, whether it is viewed as an addition to previous Lord of the Rings films, or as a standalone series. The show gives representation to women and people of colour in a way that most fantasy films lack, while still remaining authentic to Tolkien’s writing. 

New episodes are released weekly on Friday on Amazon Prime.

Featured image from IMDb.