After a four-year hiatus from the music scene, singer-songwriter Alicia Keys has returned with her sixth studio album Here. Commonly referred to as the queen of R&B, Keys has brought us a different style that strays from her traditional music: a powerful new mix of contemporary R&B, jazz, blues, and soul.

On her previous albums, Keys’ music was heavily based on the piano, but on Here she puts it aside on some tracks, and creates beautiful arrangements of acoustic guitar and percussions, which are prominent in “Kill Your Mama,” “Girl Can’t Be Herself,” and “Blended Family.”

With a year consisting of a lot activism for Keys, she expresses her revolutionary vision for the world on the album. It starts with an interlude of her speaking, “I feel like history on the turntables,” and referencing singer-songwriter and civil rights activist Nina Simone. She reinforces that she stands for the truth and is the new voice of justice against transgression.

Keys mentions several diverse issues throughout the album, but they are all relevant to the 21st century. These include sexual orientation, feminism, and freedom. Keys wraps up her album with “Holy War,” a powerful song that addresses all these topics in order to emphasize that love and respect prevails above all.

[vsw id=”DWACsH1f2So” source=”youtube” width=”600″ height=”400″ autoplay=”no”]

“Girl Can’t Be Herself” is another dominant song that alludes to the expectations of women in the media and the way it corrupts our minds. The sad reality that a girl can’t walk out in public without feeling criticized and judged for her “imperfections” or “flaws” is a problem highlighted by Keys: “maybe all this Maybelline is covering my self-esteem.”

Recently, Keys gave up makeup completely, as a movement to empower women to feel strong, confident, and content with their natural selves. She maintains this not only in her private life, but also in public when attending award shows, and co-hosting singing talent competition The Voice.

Some featured appearances on her album include rapper A$AP Rocky in “Blended Family,” and a vocal track interlude of Elaine Brown, an American prison activist, writer, singer, and former Black Panther Party chairwoman.

Keys has proven her social activism through her music and the many causes she supports. Her soulful voice is one that echoes through your ears and leaves you mesmerized.

Whether it’s through her music or philanthropy, Keys is creating a movement of change and advocacy for issues of gender, race, and social equality. On her newest album, Keys boldly lets us know that she is here, and here for change.