The first-year university experience at Carleton is undergoing a COVID-19 renovation. With only half the usual number of students moving into residence and the implementation of strict COVID-19 protocols, residence life is going to be drastically different this school year.

Housing and Residence Life Services officials said they have been preparing for the fall semester all summer. They have put together kits for students living on residence that contain masks, hand sanitizer, and cleaning products. Officials have also put up signs around the residence buildings reminding students to sanitize, wear masks, and stay six-feet apart.

All residence rooms have been reduced to single rooms, and pod-style rooms—which can host up to six people—this year will have no more than two students living in them. 

Students are expected to clean high-touch surfaces in their rooms every time they are used and limit close contact with other students and residence staff. 

The Caf is also limiting its capacity to a number that will soon be determined by Ottawa Health and will no longer be self-served. 

Officials direct traffic as students move into residence in 2019. [Photo By: Jeff Pelletier]
Laura Storey, Housing and Residence Life Services director, said that students have been thoroughly informed about what to expect when they arrive on campus. Information like changes made to move-in days has been emailed to students throughout the summer. Students will be moving into residence from Sept. 2 to Sept. 7. Move-in is usually done in two days, but it’s being spread out over six days to avoid crowds.A typical move-in day consists of student volunteers screaming “pop that trunk” and helping to unload luggage, but none of that is happening this year. The new goal is to have a near-contactless move-in between staff and students.

“We ask that students only bring one person to help them move in,” Storey said.

Despite the threat of COVID-19, most residence staff said they feel comfortable returning to work. Some even said they feel it’s crucial to return now more than ever. 

Jennifer Onwuemeodo, a Carleton residence fellow, said she wants to get to work more now than prior to the pandemic. 

“With social distancing, limiting guests on residence, and online school, it is so easy to feel alone,” Onwuemeodo said. “I would like to create a space that feels inclusive and less lonely while also practising social distancing.”

Although she wants to get back to work, Onwuemeodo is still nervous about returning to campus. 

“I don’t think I can ever feel prepared [to work] only because things are changing every day,” she said.

Ladia Omoruyi, who works at the Residence Commons help desk, said that students should not be worried about returning to residence because there are so many precautions in place.

“It’s been five months of dealing with COVID-19, Ottawa is in stage-three, and we’ve implemented so many safety measures at work,” Omoruyi said.

Campus Safety Services director Brian Billings said COVID-19 precautions rely on cooperation. [Photo from file]
Residence staff and Campus Safety Services are relying on cooperation from the Carleton community to ensure a safe school year. Brian Billings, the director of Campus Safety Services, said that everyone must understand and follow the protocols in place. “The message that needs to be out there is that it really is community-oriented,” Billings said. “We as community members need to care. We all need to be on the same page in order to get through it.”If a suspected COVID-19 case were to occur on campus, Billings said he is confident that campus safety is prepared to handle it. 

“We’ve obtained the proper tools to deal with a possible COVID-19 incident and we have special procedures,” he said. 

Billings did not specify what special procedures they have, but mentioned that campus safety personnel will be carrying respirators with them in case of emergency. 

Many students are facing the difficult decision between staying home and living in residence due to COVID-19. 

For first-year Carleton student Lauren Rhuland studying neuroscience and mental health, the decision to live in residence was not easy. At first, she was wary about leaving her home in Nova Scotia, but decided moving to Ottawa was the best for her. 

“There’s not going to be the same organized events to meet new people, but then I realized I’d be living at home in a different province,” Rhuland said. “I’m really not meeting people if I’m doing school from home in my bed, so I might as well go.”

Rayyan Esmail, a second-year student studying public affairs and policy management, had his mind set on living in residence since his residence application was accepted in January. He said that COVID-19 did not impact his decision to live in residence with his friends. 

“COVID-19 hit but it was already decided for us,” he said. “We all still wanted to be in Ottawa.”

It can be intimidating moving away from home as a young student, but even more so during a pandemic. There is no doubt that residence life will be different than previous years. Billings said his main concern is ensuring students feel safe and comfortable. 

“We are here for them,” he said. “They can just pick up the phone and call us, and we will help them.”

Featured image from file.