Two of Carleton’s rugby players competed as part of the Ontario Storm under-20 development team that went undefeated at the 2015 U20 Women’s Canadian Rugby Championship in Regina July 14-19.

Susan Garwood, a lock, and Ingrid Krausbar, a forward, were selected to play again for the team in June after having played on the under-18 team two years ago.

Both women were also long-listed for the under-19 squad last year before the program was cancelled.

The national tournament featured provincial sides from Ontario and British Columbia and a combined prairie team with players from Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
The Storm played each team twice and won all of their games. As the team’s assistant captain, Garwood said she was happy with how well the team came together at the tournament.

“It was kind of nerve-wracking at first because our team was put together very late in the season . . . but it was really good to see how far our team came in such a short amount of time,” she said.

She added that being chosen as an assistant captain for the team was a very rewarding experience.

“It was exciting to take on that new leadership role that I had never really done before,” she said.

Krausbar said she was also happy with her performance at the championship, especially after recovering from various injuries.

She added her experience playing provincially has helped improve her game in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) at Carleton as well.

“Ontario has some really good coaches so it’s always good to hear different angles. There’s no one-way to play rugby. It’s good to have a really broad background,” she said.

Head Coach Dennis Blondin is entering his sixth year with the Carleton women’s rugby team. He said he was pleased Garwood and Krausbar were selected to play for Team Ontario.

“I think it’s a good opportunity for them to continue playing at a high level and to get more exposure against top level players,” he said.

Blondin said he hopes their experience winning the championship in Regina will add to the winning culture at Carleton as the team enters its first national championship in the fall.

“We had some struggles with inexperience last year, but having spent a year in the gym now the potential for us is there. We’re good enough to beat anyone in our league, it’s just a matter of putting that confidence on the field,” he said.

The girls’ experience playing provincially and in CIS has earned them each a spot on the long list for the U20 Canadian Women’s Rugby team.

The list consists of approximately 60 athletes and the team will be cut down to just 26 players by next week.

The final team will play in a two-part Can-Am series against the United States at Central Washington University in Ellensburg, Washington in August.

Team Canada will enter the tournament on a high after triumphing in last year’s Can-Am Cup. Garwood and Krausbar will be a part of this high performing squad.

The Carleton women’s rugby season officially starts on Sept. 8, with an away game against Concordia University. Garwood and Krausbar are both entering their second year at Carleton in the fall.