Rugby sevens, a condensed version of seven-on-seven rugby, is making its debut at the 27th Summer Universiade this July in Kazan, Russia, and Carleton rugby player Natasha Smith has been chosen to be one of 12 players to represent the Canadian women’s squad.

“I felt honoured and excited to be chosen to represent Canada among some of the best players in the country,” Smith said via email. “The Universiade is such a huge opportunity for me to take rugby to the next level and from what I’ve heard it will be an experience of a lifetime.”

Smith plays wing for the Ravens, who completed their first season as a varsity team this past year.

In Smith’s first year in Canadian Interuniversity Sport competition, she was named a divisional all-star in Réseau du sport étudiant du Québec rugby conference.

She finished second in the league in tries, scoring 11 tries in six games, capping off her season with six tries alone in her final regular season game.

Denis Blondin, the head coach of women’s rugby at Carleton, described Smith as “naturally gifted.”

Smith said she does not take all the credit for her preparation and success in her rugby career so far.

“Leading up to the games I have been doing the training program created by the coaching staff at Carleton,” Smith said. “My teammates often help me push through the mental aspect of tough training sessions.”

This is not the first time Smith will be competing against players from other countries, as she competed for her Dog River Howlers club in the Carib Tobago International Rugby Sevens Tournament last fall, which included teams from Trinidad, Tobago, the United States, Barbados, Guyana, Scotland, and Jamaica.

Blondin said the Universiade style of play is well-suited for Smith’s game.

“Sevens is mostly about one-on-one battles. With the amount of space, she can showcase her skills,” he said.

Smith said her speed and straight arm will be her strengths she can bring to the Universiade.

Smith has had to face some adversity in the weeks leading up to the tournament, as she was injured while tackling an opposing player in a game June 8.

However, she said she is expecting to recover in time to go to Russia, and is doing everything possible to attend.

Canada’s women’s rugby sevens team begins their Universiade tournament against Russia and Japan on July 14.