Photo by Leah Symonne.

The Carleton Ravens rugby team suffered a tough 24-5 loss against the Montreal Carabins at their home opener on Sept. 12.

Cold conditions and rainy weather led to a slippery start for both teams but the Carabins came out on top with the first try of the game.

The Ravens received a penalty 20 minutes into the first half and the Carabins responded by swinging the ball out wide and mauling into the Ravens’ end zone to score a try and conversion to lead by seven points.

Ravens prop Susan Garwood said despite some scrambling under pressure, the team was able to pull through in other areas.

“Our attack structure wasn’t there but we had some good moments—we had the momentum, we were working well together,” Garwood said.

The Ravens were quick to fight back with a deep kick into the Carabins end with Michelle Flowers recovering the ball at the try line, scoring just minutes after the Carabins. Bailey Dean took the conversion kick but was unsuccessful, halting the score at 7-5.

Shortly after the Ravens scored, the Carabins reacted with a deep kick into the Ravens’ zone and were quick to swoop in and catch the ball, scoring the Carabins their second try. The Carabins missed the conversion but brought the score up to 12-5.

Garwood said the Carabins were able to make yardage because of tackling issues.

“We have to make our tackles a lot lower because we’re not getting them down quick enough and then sometimes our support wasn’t eager to get over the ball,” Garwood said.

Early into the second half the Carabins made a break for the try line but a successful tackle by the Ravens kept the opposition at bay.

Shortly after, the ball was pushed out of the game for a line-out for the Carabins who successfully retrieved the ball and pushed towards the Ravens’ zone, who countered with intense pressure on defence.

Despite the Ravens’ attempts, the Carabins swung the ball out wide and broke through the defence, distancing their lead to 17-5.

With only 20 minutes remaining in the second half, Ravens centre Kaitlyn McLeod was yellow-carded and sent to the sin bin, setting the team back by one player.

With a one-man advantage the Carabins created a turnover and broke through the Ravens’ defence to score their fourth try, matched with a successful conversion to lead 24-5.

The Ravens held back the Carabins until the end of the second half and despite playing three minutes of penalty time, were unable to score and lost to the Carabins.  

Assistant coach David Luong said the Ravens played well but have a few things to work on before their next game.

“I think we just had to stick to our game plan and we kind of got away from it at times but the next couple of days we’ll just rally together,” Luong said.

The Ravens’ next game is scheduled for Sept. 16 at home against the University of Ottawa Gee Gees.