Photo by Julie Vallaincourt.

On the third account of the Ravens and Martlets facing off this season, women’s hockey dropped their second game to the McGill Martlets 5-0 at the Ice House. Martlet goaltender Taylor Hough notched her fourth shutout of the season against 18 shots as 2014 Olympic gold medalist Melodie Daoust tallied a hat trick.

“We’ve beaten them already this year and we proved that we can skate with them, attack them, and defend them. We need to not look back on this game but at the game that we won, and focus on the good things from that,” said Ravens’ netminder Hailey Perreault.

McGill’s Gabrielle Davidson opened the score shortly after the 12 minute mark with a textbook 2-on-1, assisted by Marie-Philip Lavoie.

Daoust was able to capitalize on the powerplay for her first goal of the night. Carleton brought forward a strong penalty kill only allowing one goal for the six penalties the Ravens took.

“Our penalty kill has been pretty good all season—we were pretty confident in that department—but obviously they move the puck so quick, so our main thing was to stay as a unit in the middle of the ice and try to contain them on the outside,” said Ravens captain Tawnya Guindon on Carleton’s penalty kill.

Daoust would continue to tally two more goals, completing her hat trick. Credits go to Olivia Sutter for the fourth goal of the night, a short-handed one for her first of the regular season.

The Ravens were unable to break Hough’s shutout despite having seven power-play opportunities.

Perreault started in net for Carleton, facing 41 shots.

The Ravens brought forth a lot of defensive grit against the high-speed Martlets. Perreault shared some optimistic insight regarding the Ravens’ defensive progression.

“If you compare us to last year, we lost to them 10-0 at one point, our D-Zone [defence] has definitely improved. It’s a learning process and we’ll get there,” Perreault said.

Guindon emphasized the importance of hard work and discipline after Friday’s results.

“We definitely need to stay out of the penalty box and keep working hard in practice, it shows on the ice when we have one bad practice, so we need to keep working hard,” Guindon said.

After a loss to Concordia on Sunday, Carleton’s record is at 3-10. They will continue to fight for the final playoff spot in the Réseau du sport étudiant du Québec.