The Ravens will clash with Nipissing again Sept. 28, and will try to rebound against the Lady Vees Sept. 29. (Photo courtesy of John Sabourin)

The Carleton Ravens women’s soccer team split the two away games on their northern Ontario trip Sept. 21-22.

First, the Ravens lost a heartbreaker to the Laurentian University Lady Vees who scored in the 90th minute to win 1-0.

Third-year midfielder Nicole Filipow said the game against Laurentian was very frustrating.

“We came out of Laurentian devastated by the loss and just knew there was no more room for mistakes, and that we were going to have to really bring our best against Nipissing to keep our position in the standings,” she said.

The Ravens took a 0-0 tie late into the game against the Lady Vees, but with one quick strike with little time remaining in regular time, it ended up being the difference.

Fifth-year defender and captain Briana De Souza said the team didn’t play the way they normally do.

“I think in the first game we weren’t necessarily out played but didn’t create the opportunities we needed to get the result we wanted. We waited until the last minute and unfortunately had a lapse defensively which cost us the game,” De Souza said.

One day later the Ravens rebounded, crushing the Nipissing University Lakers 8-1.

The game against the Lakers was a different story as the Ravens came out flying with second-year forward Abby Nicastro scoring just 20 seconds into the game.

Third-year forward Adrianna Ruggiero scored her first of two goals on the day 30 minutes later, the first of which ended up being the eventual game winner.

The shutout bid ended for the Ravens in the 89th minute when Lakers midfielder Valaine Confesor scored on Ravens goalkeeper Elizabeth MacDougall.

The late goal in the dying minutes of the game made it the second in two games against the Ravens.

The Ravens received two stellar performances from Filipow and fourth-year forward Andrea Way as they both recorded hat tricks on the afternoon.

For Filipow, it was her first of the season, but for Way it was her second.

“I think Andrea Way came in and made a big difference. She scored her second hat trick for the season. Andrea is not afraid to take chances and be creative up front and she definitely showed that today against Nipissing,” De Souza said.

The Ravens now have a record of 5-2-1 and are tied for second place in the Ontario University Athletics East with the University of Toronto Varsity Blues. Both teams have 16 points and are four points behind the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees for first place.

The Ravens will clash with Nipissing again Sept. 28, and will try to rebound against the Lady Vees Sept. 29.