Photos by Zachary Novack.

Ravens powerlifter Erik Willis recently published an article on the Ontario Powerlifting Association (OPA) website, outlining a strategy by which other university powerlifting teams can gain competitive club, and eventually varsity status.

In the article, Willis said in order for powerlifting to become a varsity sport, the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) and Ontario University Athletics (OUA) need to add powerlifting.

For this to happen, Willis said schools around the country need to start forming powerlifting clubs that are officially recognized by their respective universities.

Willis said schools can do this by recruiting fellow students that train at their university’s gym, competing in powerlifting meets to gain experience, and speaking with their student union about forming a recognized club.

The steps outlined in the article mirror the ones taken by the Ravens powerlifting team, and serve as an example of how teams at other schools can achieve competitive club status.

sPowerLifting15_4_ZacharyNovack_(WEB)

In an email, Willis said he wrote the article after OPA president Julie Watkin heard about the success of the Ravens powerlifting team, and wanted to let other schools know it was possible.

Willis said he believes other schools can successfully follow the same steps as the Ravens powerlifting team, however there are certain things that must fall into place.

“It will take people who are interested in powerlifting to actually step up and compete, and get into the sport,” Willis said. “Students all over train with a focus on strength, but the number of them that actually compete are much slimmer for whatever reason. If they start to see more and more students actually getting involved with the sport then they might feel inclined to do so.”

Team co-founder and alumni Phil Brougham said they are now closer than ever.

“The more schools that start popping up with competitive clubs, the more likely it is that powerlifting will be in the CIS/OUA,” he said. “I think we’re only a few years away, to tell you the truth.”

If powerlifting was to become a varsity sport, Willis said “the benefits to us as students is more exposure and funding from the school.”

He added that powerlifting being added to the CIS/OUA “is important to all powerlifters and not just students, as it means it will be one step closer to becoming an Olympic sport.”

Powerlifting is currently not recognized by the International Olympic Committee, although weightlifting is.

Willis said since 2014-15 is his last year at Carleton, he doubts the team will achieve varsity status before he moves on.

“I will do what I can to ensure the growth of the sport at Carleton while I am here,” he said.