The Carleton Ravens were represented at the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) All-Star Showcase May 2 and 3.

Four student athletes, two from the women’s soccer team and two from the men’s soccer team, competed at the annual event.

Veronica Mazzella and Alexandra McIntyre played on the women’s Team East, who won the game 2-0. Mazzella, 2014 team captain and midfielder, called her All-Star appearance a treat.

“When playing alongside rivals, a new relationship forms,” Mazzella said in an email. “Usually these players are your enemies, but these games allow you to get a feel for what your opponents are really like.”

Mazzella said the All-Star game is played at a faster pace than regular Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) games.

“It’s enjoyable to play at this level, since you are being pushed to your limits for 90 minutes with the best in the province,” Mazzella said.

McIntyre, a fifth-year defender, also competed at the showcase. She started every game for the Ravens in their 2014-15 season.

The women’s game kicked off at the Civic Recreation Complex in Oshawa on May 2. Ryerson Rams defender Sarah Slattery opened the scoring for Team East. University of Ontario Institute of Technology Ridgebacks striker Cassandra Sribny scored the second and last goal of the game, bringing Team East to victory with a shutout over the West.

The following day, Michael Calof and Daud Dahir helped the men’s Team East win over Team West 4-2.
Calof, a fourth year defender and 2014-15 team captain, started in every Ravens match last season. This is his second all-star selection.

“It was a great experience to watch players from around the league showcase their skill, and be able to admire it instead of having to defend it,” Calof said in an email. “The skill propelled the game at a high pace.”

Playing alongside future opponents is a unique advantage to All-Star Showcases.

“The game allows you to learn from a variety of players with different skill sets and help propel us forward in the season,” Calof said.

Ravens midfielder Daud Dahir also represented Carleton, in his first All-Star game appearance.

“My team played amazing,” Dahir said in an email,” especially in how we kept the possession of the ball.”

Team East was victorious over Team West, with a final score of 4-2. Team West’s goals were scored by Waterloo Warriors midfielder Nicholas Karavanas and Western Mustangs midfielder Parker Seymour.

University of Toronto Varsity Blues striker Kilian Elkinson scored three goals for Team East, adding a hat trick at the All-Star Showcase to his resumé. Ryerson Rams forward Viktor Anastasov scored the final goal of the game, protecting his team’s lead with a 4-2 score.

There are four months until the next season begins, but the All-Star Showcase gives players a taste of what to expect in the fall.

“It gives players like myself a general idea on what to expect from the top players on each team,” Mazzella said. “There’s very good quality [of play] to look forward to next season.”