Photo by Jolson Lim.

The Carleton Ravens men’s football team faced off against the University of Toronto (U of T) Varsity Blues on Sept. 19 at MNP Park for homecoming weekend, defeating them 19-15.

Both teams started out slow, with neither team putting points up on the board in the first quarter.

“We knew going into the game that they were ready,” said running back Jahvari Bennett.

Starting right guard Eric Fowler hopped off the field with a leg injury near the end of the opening quarter. After the injury, the
Ravens began to find momentum.

The Ravens began the second quarter with a new-found energy.
On the Varsity Blues’ first play of the second half, cornerback D’Sean Thelwell came up with an interception leading to a field goal by kicker Mike Domagala.

The first touchdown of the game came with nine minutes remaining in the second, with quarterback Jesse Mills throwing a touchdown pass to wide receiver Malcolm Carter.

Before the half was finished, Domagala made two more field goals—both in the red zone—to account for 10 out of the Ravens 16 points in the half. The Ravens had 17 first downs in the first half, compared to just four for the Varsity Blues.

“I have to give thanks to my kicker, Mike [Domagala], for getting all his field goals in” Carter said.

Despite not having a kicking coach, Domagala said he has been pushed by his teammate Jonah Zlatinszky.

“Me and my other kicker Jonah have been challenging each other a lot and really working,” Domagala said.

The second half started with the Varsity Blues’ running back Devante Smith earning consecutive successful carries.
Halfway through the third quarter, a Ravens touchdown by Tunde Adeleke was called off by a holding flag on the Ravens.

The Varsity Blues carried that momentum to a touchdown of their own with five minutes remaining in the third, with Boris Isakov catching a pass from quarterback Simon Nassar.

The third quarter ended with injuries to three different Ravens players, and the momentum was on the University of Toronto’s side.
Devante Smith and the Varsity Blues continued their strong play into the fourth quarter, with Marcus Hobbs forcing his way into the end zone with 13 minutes remaining in the game.

The Varsity Blues did not complete the extra point pass to tie it up, however, and were down by two heading into the final minutes of the game.

An interception by Mark Ehioghae really put the pressure on the Ravens.

Bennett said he knew they would be able to come away with the win.

“[I have] a lot of faith in my defence,” he said. “Those guys are in film everyday—they know what they’re doing.”

Carter agreed their defence was strong enough to hold U of T.
“We knew our defence would step up,” Carter said.

Up by one point, the Ravens defence didn’t allow a touchdown or field goal for the remainder of the game.

“We try to get our guys excited at this point,” said Chris Coulson, the offensive line coach.

“When they scored and almost tied it up . . . you wanna have that mentality that it’s our time now.”

U of T fell short 19-15 to the Ravens, who made one last field goal to end the game. Domagala won player of the game.

The Ravens will play next on Sept. 26 at 1 p.m. against the Western University Mustangs in London.