Carleton Ravens midfielder Dario Conte (9) plays the ball during a Ontario University Athletics (OUA) quarterfinal matchup on Wednesday, Nov. 3, 2021 at the Ravens Perch. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan][Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

Entering this season, the Carleton Ravens men’s soccer team had high hopes of repeating as Ontario University Athletics (OUA) champions.

While their dream of winning it all at U Sports nationals later this month is still alive, their OUA title quest came to an end on Saturday, when the Ravens lost 1-0 to the Guelph Gryphons in a blockbuster game at the Gryphon Soccer Complex.

The match, between two teams ranked third and fourth nationally, may have been a preview of what’s to come at nationals on Nov. 18 to 21. Despite being eliminated in the OUA playoffs, Carleton received an automatic berth to nationals as the host team.

The Ravens and Gryphons both got off to equal starts on Saturday, as each team chased the opening goal, but Guelph started to dominate as the game went on. They dictated the flow of the game through constant attacks, particularly down Carleton’s left flank.

Guelph fired a warning shot in the 26th minute that called Ravens keeper Kyle Potter into action. The first goal came in the 40th minute, when Guelph striker Owen McKee tapped in a ball to give Guelph a 1-0 lead.

It proved to be the only goal of the game.

Guelph slowly turned into defensive mode in the second half as they gave up more possession to the Ravens, but Carleton still struggled to create scoring opportunities.

Ravens defenders Tareq Hamad and Hasan Mohasar were excellent all game and prevented Guelph from extending their 1-0 lead any further. They also allowed Carleton to increase its offensive presence for the last 25 minutes of the game.

“Guelph scored the goal and defended for the rest of the match,” head coach Kwesi Loney said. “We created opportunities but couldn’t capitalize.”

Carleton had its fair share of chances that could have altered the match’s outcome had they been converted into goals. In the 37th minute, the Ravens missed a breakaway opportunity, and in the 70th minute, midfielder Scott Mazzotta missed a goal from about 12 yards out by a wide margin, sending the ball over the bar and into the backfield.

The nail in the coffin was a crucial last-minute penalty missed by Mazzotta, when Guelph keeper Svyatoslav Artemenko guessed the direction of the shot correctly and saved it.

“That’s a striker’s life,” Loney said. “You’re at the top of the mountain one day and at the bottom of it the next.”

Loney credited the work and goal contribution Mazzotta put in all season and was happy to see him show confidence to take the penalty. Loney said Artemenko’s save was good, but the game shouldn’t have come to that and the Ravens should have finished the opportunities they had earlier on in the game.

Had Mazzotta scored his penalty, the Ravens would have continued their championship defence in extra time. Instead, Mazzotta’s miss meant the Gryphon Soccer Complex erupted with cheers at the referee’s final whistle.

Carleton Ravens head coach Kwesi Loney talks to reporters following a 3-1 victory against the McMaster Marauders at the Ravens Perch in Ottawa, Ont. McMaster and the Ravens faced off in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) quarterfinals. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

The OUA final will take place on Nov. 13 when the Gryphons host the York Lions. The winner will secure their spot at nationals alongside Carleton.

The Ravens will have a short break before pursuing their championship aspirations when U Sports nationals begin on Nov. 18 at Carleton.

For Loney, the extra time will be used to ensure the health of some of his key players. Raphaël Garcia, Quinn Honeyman-Wootton and Gabriel Bitar are currently sidelined due to injuries.

The loss of Bitar, who suffered a groin injury earlier this season, is especially impactful. He’s played in seven of Carleton’s 11 games and is ranked third on the team in points per game.

“We’re hoping [Bitar] recovers in the next week or so and is ready to go again,” Loney said. “We’re really happy with the depth that we have … We are really proud of the players and it felt like we had enough to go and take the game.”