The Carleton Ravens mens soccer team play against Laurentian in TAAG Park in Ottawa, Ont. on Tuesday, October 11, 2022. [Photo provided by Val Wutti/Carleton Ravens]

A shocking last-minute goal in Saturday’s loss to the Ontario Tech Ridgebacks stunned the Carleton Ravens men’s soccer team. However, the team got back in the win column Sunday with a thrashing win over the Trent Excalibur.

Saturday Oct. 15: Ravens versus Ontario Tech

Down a man, Ontario Tech Ridgebacks’ all-star midfielder Christopher Campoli skipped down the sideline into the Ravens’ box. Campoli’s dangerous position attracted Ravens defenders, which created space for midfielder Carlos Edic, who tapped in the game-winner from a Campoli pass with two minutes left in the match.

That was how the game ended for the Ravens. It was one of disappointment for Ravens head coach Kwesi Loney

“[The lead-up to the goal] was a bit of a mental lapse,” Loney said. “When you push that hard [for a winning goal], you can’t give up across the back.”

After a dangerous tackle by Ridgeback’s midfielder Luciano Nania earned him a red card in the 72nd minute, the Ridgebacks were forced to defend against a consistent barrage of attacks from the Carleton Ravens’ offence.

The Ravens controlled possession, spending most of the second half in the attacking third with the extra man advantage. The game situation called for the Ravens to chase a victory.

“Our ambition coming into the match was to win. A draw wasn’t something we wanted,” Loney said.

The Ridgebacks’ defence—which shifted into a 4-4-1 formation after the card—had eight of their nine outfield players back defending, formulated into a low-block as they tried to prevent the Ravens from scoring.

But, the Ridgebacks weren’t satisfied with sitting back and playing for a draw.

Ridgebacks head coach Ramin Mohammadi preached to the players from the sideline to attack. Despite being a man down, they continued to counter-attack the Ravens.

But the game didn’t start with the Ridgebacks on their heels, they got the better of the Ravens with a 3rd-minute goal from midfielder Trivine Esprit.

After a Raven was tackled in the box, Carleton was awarded a penalty which midfielder Luca Piccioli calmly converted to tie the game 1-1 in the 31st minute. This was the third goal the Ridgebacks have conceded all year.

After the equalizer, the momentum shifted in Carleton’s favour, but the Ridgebacks’ back-five was frustrating to play against.

“After a while, we worked our way back into the game,” Loney said.

Loney added the game plan didn’t change much after conceding and that the players simply realized they needed to get going.

Carleton finished with the loss, despite outshooting the Ridgebacks 6-4. Ontario Tech’s late goal improves their record to 9-0-1.

Sunday, Oct: 16: Ravens versus the Excaliburs

Four first-half goals—three in a span of less than five minutes—helped the Carleton Ravens take a 6-1 victory over the Trent Excalibur.

“Before the game, we talked a lot about threatening the opposition’s goal, because it builds our confidence,” Loney said.

Loney added his team’s relentless attack plants “a seed of doubt” in their opponents’ minds.

“Then [their defence] starts to make mistakes or gets a little bit unbalanced across the back and that allows us to create more scoring opportunity,” he added.

Coach Loney credited Sunday’s dominance to the change in the team’s overall mentality.

“Some guys on the field [needed] to prove themselves and show their qualities, today they had the ability to do that, which was really positive,” Loney said.

He added the team “exorcised their demons” from yesterday’s loss.

The Ravens’ attack put pressure on the Excalibur’s back line all game long and generated so many scoring chances with their passing and creativity in the final third. The Ravens outshot the Excalibur 22-4 and had a whopping 14 shots on target.

“I think we’ve always had the ability to create,” Loney said. “[We’re still] finding those moments to consistently finish and be clinical, so it’s really good to see us execute,” Loney said.

The Ravens spread the ball well and had five different goal scorers in their 6-1 win.

Loney’s message to the team is to try to improve every game.

“Yesterday’s game stung. I think being able to bounce back today and reaffirm that we are a good side was huge,” Loney said. “When we come with the right mentality and come to execute, we’re one of the best in [Ontario University Athletics].”

Following the win, the Ravens defeated Toronto Metropolitan University Bold 5-0 on Saturday and will play Queen’s University Gaels 7 p.m tomorrow at TAAG Park.

Featured image by Val Wutti