Carleton Ravens goalkeeper Tyler David (23) lunges to make a save against the Brock Badgers in a penalty shootout in Ottawa, Ont. on Nov. 1, 2023. [Photo by Marc Lafleur]

The Carleton Ravens men’s soccer team qualified for the Ontario University Association (OUA) finals and U Sports national championships in a penalty shootout win against the Brock Badgers Nov. 1 at TAAG Park.

The Ravens took to the field on a chilly Wednesday evening in front of hundreds of fans to take on the Badgers, who played their first OUA semifinals since 2006. 

The ball travelled equally between both ends of the field in the opening minutes of the game, but Carleton looked more confident in possession. In response to the Ravens’ quick passes through the midfield, the Badgers deployed a low-block, moving their defensive line down the pitch and bringing wide players into a narrower position. 

Ravens head coach Marcelo Plada said he warned his team about the Badgers’ defence the week before. 

“We had to move the ball quicker and disrupt their shape,” he said. “We were looking to go over the top, just to extend it a little bit and free up some space for the players in the middle.”

The Badgers scored their first goal in the 27th minute when their corner kick found the foot of defender Connor Carroll at the back post.

Brock retreated lower on the pitch after taking the lead. The hosts, who have found success this season in their free-flowing play through the middle, were forced to keep the ball wide. In response to a compact defence, a cross-heavy strategy saw the Ravens launch balls from the flanks of the field.

Just before the half, Ravens midfielder Omar Darwish redirected a free kick but was stymied by the outstretched Badgers goalkeeper. Despite maintaining the majority of possession and creating some quality chances, the half concluded with a 1-0 Badgers lead. 

In the 52nd minute, striker Daniel Assaf was taken down in the box and a penalty was awarded to the Ravens. With the opportunity to even the score, midfielder Luca Piccioli slotted the ball in the bottom-left corner of the net, kickstarting the home crowd chants.

Following Piccioli’s marker, neither team capitalized on their chances for the rest of the match. But Piccioli stood out for the remainder of the game, producing moments of technical genius with the ball. A veteran in a fairly new squad, Piccioli continuously encouraged the team as they fought to extend their season. 

“He’s a leader by example … he was an inspiration,” Plada said.

In the 67th minute, Ravens goalkeeper Tyler David warded off a dangerous free kick to keep the game tied. In the 84th minute, Carleton striker Mohammed Bouzidi had an open net after the Badgers goalkeeper fumbled the ball, but missed the yawning cage.

Regulation couldn’t solve this game. With 30 minutes of extra time, the Badgers opened up play, forcing the Ravens to adjust. Coach Plada instructed Darwish to position higher up on the pitch to create more space in the build-up.

With the adjustment, the Badgers looked like a different team in overtime, launching successive attacks at the Ravens’ back line. Badgers fans attempted a “let’s go Badgers” chant that was quickly drowned out by the home crowd.

As the minutes waned in extra time, excitement continued to build.

The Ravens nearly found the winner in the 112th minute when captain Raphaël Garcia put the ball on the head of Bouzidi, but the striker failed to find the target.

Ravens fans chanted and stomped their feet in their attempt to will their team across the finish line, but time was against them. A penalty shootout would decide the game. 

While a shootout is far from ideal to solve a game, the Ravens prepared extensively for the scenario. Plada said the team had been practicing all aspects of the shootout, from the walk-up to the shot, even recreating the game day atmosphere by blasting sounds of cheering fans over the field speakers. 

After both teams scored their first two shots, David seemingly put the game away for Carleton with back-to-back saves. Expecting victory, Ravens fans — now standing at field-level — lit a flare before defender Kevin Kaba stepped up to the penalty spot. 

But Kaba was denied by the Badgers goalkeeper, followed by Bouzidi, whose shot hit the goalie’s hands and then the post.

“There was the high of almost winning, then they scored a couple,” Plada said. “I was pretty panicky.”

Tied at three goals apiece, the teams entered sudden death. 

David, who watched from the sidelines as the Ravens lost in a penalty shootout in the 2021 national championship finals, denied the first shot from the Badgers Tiago Pereira with outstretched arms. 

The game now rested in the hands of winger Eric Yoseke.

Yoseke netted the last penalty shot to send the Ravens to the OUA finals just days after he scored an extra-time winner against the Toronto Varsity Blues.

Fans stormed the field to celebrate with Yoseke and the team. Players and fans formed a circle, jumping up and down, chanting “olé, olé, olé, olé, olé!”

Plada praised David’s shootout performance. 

“Tyler was incredible in net, made some amazing saves,” Plada said. “Our goalie coach says that’s the standard, that’s typical of Tyler.”

After enduring nearly sub-zero temperatures for two hours, David said he “stretched, jumped around a few times” and then he did what he had to do.

“I got my moment in the [penalty shootout],” David said. “It’s one of the greatest feelings, I haven’t been this happy in a long time.”

“We get to move on and finally get to go to nationals again, which was our goal since the beginning of the season,” he said.

A sentiment shared by many Ravens is that this is unfinished business. After losing last year’s national championships at home in a heartbreaking shootout, the team is hungry to get back to the tournament.

Featured image by Marc Lafleur.