The Carleton Ravens men's soccer team face off against the Queens Gaels on Friday, Sept. 24, 2021 at Carleton University. This is the first match up in nearly two years following the cancellation of last year's season due to COVID-19 [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

The Carleton Ravens men’s soccer team moved one step closer to U Sports nationals, securing their spot in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) quarterfinals with a 2-0 victory over the Queens Gaels Oct. 26 at TAAG Park.

After a heartbreaking penalty shootout loss in last year’s U Sports championship game, the Ravens have been feeling the pressure to perform this season.

“There’s a lot more expectations and I think we were dealing with those demons all season long,” Ravens head coach Kwesi Loney said.

Veteran winger Scott Mazzotta agreed. “There’s a standard that we have to make it to nationals,” he said.

Despite this pressure, the Ravens finished the season in third place with a record of eight wins, two losses and two draws. The team began to find their stride in the final games of the season, scoring 17 goals and conceding one in their last three games.

“We’re really happy about the group dynamic right now,” Loney said “[We hope] to take the momentum into the playoffs.”

As the Gaels kicked the ball off to begin the game, the crowd was buzzing, bells rang and chants radiated from the stands.

The Ravens began in a familiar 4-4-2 formation. The team has spent most of the season in that shape and understand how to play in it, according to Loney.

The Ravens dominated the first half, commanded play in the midfield and created chances from out wide which put the Gaels on the backfoot.

Despite the Ravens’ dominating performance, the Gaels managed to defend well, keeping the game scoreless at halftime.

In the 47th minute, a well-placed free kick landed on Raven’s attacker Mohamed Bouzidi’s head, who guided the ball past the Gaels keeper and into the back of the net to break the stalemate.

The Ravens did not let up, despite their 1-0 lead. With a roaring crowd behind them, the team increased their intensity in the minutes following their goal, working hard to keep the Gaels in their own half.

In the 58th minute, Carleton struck again. Mazzotta was able to capitalize on a weak clearance at the top of the 18-yard box, striking the bouncing ball into the net with power and precision.

Mazotta said he had been prepared for the situation. “We work on getting on second balls a lot, and I guess I was just in the right place and I knew I had to hit it well, and it came off right,” he said.

https://twitter.com/CURavens/status/1585426986025242624

The score did not change for the remainder of the game as Carleton continued their dominance and held the Gaels to a mere 3 shots in the second half.

Despite the loss, Gaels head coach Christian Hoefler was proud of the young players on his roster, especially for dealing with a loud TAAG Park atmosphere.

“I’m just very happy that they got to have a little ride in the rodeo,” he said.

While a playoff loss is “tough,” Hoefler said he plans to use this game to improve his team next season.

“We definitely learned a lot from this, and we want to come back next year,” he said.

As the Ravens prepare for their Oct. 30 quarter-final contest against Toronto Metropolitan University Bold, Loney said he is prioritizing rest, recovery and preparation for his team. He wants to celebrate the win, but make sure players don’t lose track of their goal.

“[We’ve] Got to bring the guys back down to neutral, make them understand, ‘okay, let’s enjoy this evening, but, back to work tomorrow,’ start to prepare for the opposition,” Loney said.