Carleton Ravens guard Aubrey Dorey-Havens (6) hits the floor with the ball during the Capital Hoops Classic against the uOttawa Gee-Gees at TD Place Arena in Ottawa, Ont. Feb. 2. [Photo by Anya Swettenham/The Charlatan]

The Carleton Ravens men’s basketball team fell to the uOttawa Gee-Gees 71-61 at the Capital Hoops Classic Feb. 2 at TD Place 

With over 6,000 people in attendance, the atmosphere in the arena was electric as both school’s home crowds gathered to support their respective teams. 

“It’s a great place to play,” Gee-Gees forward Brock Newton said. “I’ve said it before, I think this is the biggest game of all of U Sports basketball.”  

“You don’t even have this environment at nationals because you don’t have two teams with both their fans there,” Newton continued. “I think having one side of the arena [on your side] and the other side yelling at you — it’s really a surreal place to play.”

The Gee-Gees started off the game hot, taking a commanding 11-2 lead. The run was punctuated with a two-handed fastbreak dunk by Gee-Gees guard Kevin Otoo, prompting a Ravens timeout at the six-minute mark.

The timeout didn’t stifle the Gee-Gees’ momentum whatsoever, extending their lead by double digits. In the first quarter, the Gee-Gees shot an efficient 10-for-20 from the field, smothering the Ravens with a tough defence. This caused the Ravens to shoot an abysmal 30.8 per cent from the field, turning the ball over seven times. The Gee-Gees’ efforts allowed them to take a commanding 22-9 lead heading into the second quarter.

The Gee-Gees took advantage of the Ravens’ mistakes, forcing them to turn the ball over 17 times throughout the game, converting an astounding 25 points off of turnovers alone. 

In the second quarter, uOttawa continued where they left off in the first quarter and kept the Ravens at bay. However, both teams were unable to get any offensive motion as it was a physical dogfight between the two teams. 

Both teams converted 16 points in the quarter, but the Gee-Gees shot an inefficient 40 per cent from the field, going one-for-five from the three-point line. The Ravens didn’t fare any better, shooting 7-for-21 from the field and two-for-four from beyond the arc.  

Carleton Ravens and uOttawa Gee-Gees players look up at the ball during the Capital Hoops Classic at TD Place Arena in Ottawa, Ont. Feb. 2. [Photo by Anya Swettenham/The Charlatan]
The Gee-Gees carried a sizable 38-25 lead heading into the second half.

The third quarter began with the teams trading buckets in a wide-open quarter. Still, the Ravens couldn’t shave down the Gee-Gees’ double-digit lead.

Near the five-minute mark of the third quarter, the Ravens rallied, going on a late 14-5 run. The run cut the Gee Gees’ lead down by three going into the fourth. The Gee-Gees struggled immensely in the third quarter, shooting 3-for-14 from the field. The Ravens played their most efficient offensive basketball this quarter, shooting 52.9 per cent from the field. 

uOttawa Gee-Gees guard Kevin Otoo (2) grasps the ball away from Carleton Ravens forward Augustus Brazdeikis (13) during the Capital Hoops Classic at TD Place Arena in Ottawa, Ont. Feb. 2. [Photo by Anya Swettenham/The Charlatan]
Despite the Ravens’ late push, the Gee-Gees remained composed going into the fourth. The Gee-Gees re-asserted their offensive dominance against the Ravens, extending their lead by as much as 12 points. This was spearheaded by Newton, who scored 10 of his 20 points in the fourth quarter alone.

When asked about the adjustments the Gee-Gees made to control the fourth quarter, Newton said: “We were settling a lot early, and coach told us to get inside and get some easy ones.”

“The [fourth] quarter probably came at a perfect time to reset and get back to defending,” Gee-Gees head coach James Derouin said.

The Ravens were completely overwhelmed, unable to find an answer to the Gee-Gees’ offensive surge. With a three-point shot by Otoo at the 1:30 mark, the Gee-Gees buried the dagger, killing the Carleton crowd’s hopes of a comeback. The Ravens ultimately fell to the Gee-Gees 71-61. 

Ravens head coach Taffe Charles attributes the Ravens’ inability to press for a comeback to a lack of experience.

“We are a young team,” Charles said. “It’s frustrating because we don’t have the expertise right now to adjust to those changes.”

“That’s the reality of the situation,” Charles said. “That’s what happens with young teams.”

Despite the Ravens’ up-and-down season, Derouin believes that the team is still a formidable opponent for anyone in the OUA

“They are still a very good team and I think a lot of schools are sleeping on them,” Derouin said. “I don’t think anyone wants to play that team in the playoffs.” 

Carleton will look to shake off the loss Feb. 9 against the Toronto Varsity Blues at 8 p.m. in the Ravens’ Nest.

Featured image by Anya Swettenham/The Charlatan.