University of Montreal Carabins forward Audrey-Anne Veillette draws her stick back before her first of three goals in a game against the Carleton Ravens women's hockey team at the Ice House in Ottawa, Ont. on Sunday, Feb. 27, 2022. [Photo by Isaac Phan Nay/The Charlatan]

The Carleton Ravens women’s hockey team lost their final two games of the season Friday and Sunday, but under a last-minute change to the Réseau du sport étudiant du Québec (RSEQ) playoff structure, the team will qualify for the playoffs along with the other five teams in the league.

Friday: 7-1 loss to Concordia

The mighty Concordia Stingers, ranked third in the nation, travelled to Ottawa, Ont. looking to keep themselves close to the top of the table, where they lag behind the McGill Martlets by one win. With swiftness and speed, they dominated Carleton from start to finish.

The Stingers put up 10 shots in the first period, scoring three goals and putting the Ravens down early.

Carleton scored a short-handed goal early in the second after a Concordia neutral zone turnover. After the puck hit Concordia’s goalie, a defender’s skate and slid towards the net, defender Erika Ehrenberg helped the puck across the line for her first-ever goal as a Raven.

Concordia responded with three more goals in the second quarter and a seventh goal in the third. Carleton played with more life in the final 20 minutes but was still outshot 17-4 in the period.

Near the end of the game, Ravens head coach Pierre Alain was at odds with a referee, as he has been on many occasions in the past, over a non-call. In response, the official used colourful language with Alain, much to the displeasure of the crowd.

After the game, Alain expressed his frustration with sarcastic comments.

“We get all the same referees, every single weekend,” Alain said. “We’re having fun with them. I’m thrilled. They’re pro. They’re at the level. Outstanding.”

Sunday: 6-1 loss to Montreal

Carleton played hard against the University of Montreal Carabins at home at the Ice House. They more than doubled their opponent’s shots to start the game. Montreal scored two early goals, but Carleton responded by preventing a single Montreal shot for the last 10 minutes of the period.

Just one minute into the second period, Carabins forward Audrey-Anne Veillette scored her third straight goal to put the Ravens down 3-0. Things continued to go wrong for the Ravens with neutral zone turnovers and odd-player rushes.

Carleton celebrated four seniors on Sunday night. Though all have remaining U Sports eligibility, they will graduate this spring, leaving their days as Ravens behind them.

Frederike Lavoie-Leroux started in the net for the Ravens for just the third time this year. Backing her up was senior Nieve Seeley, Carleton’s third-string goalie over the last few years. Seeley has played in just three games over her RSEQ career, but as one of Carleton’s graduating players, this was one of her last chances to suit up for the team.

Lavoie-Leroux, with a lack of experience this season, hardly stood a chance against the Carabins. At the game’s halfway point, Lavoie-Leroux had allowed four goals on seven shots.

After another Carabins goal, Carleton defender Nicole Hunter scored a power-play goal to make it 5-1.

Despite the Ravens doubling the Carabins in shots at the halfway point of the game, Montreal picked up the pace to outshoot Carleton 28-22 by the final buzzer. 

​​In a touching moment with two minutes left to play, Alain put Seeley in the net, likely for her last time as a Raven. She came over the boards to a chorus of cheers from the crowd and fist bumps from teammates. Seeley saved all five shots she faced.

Understanding the playoffs

Typically, the top four teams in RSEQ qualify for the conference playoffs. They play two best-of-three rounds to determine the conference winner. This year, RSEQ unveiled a last-minute expanded structure that allows all six teams to compete.

The structure allows for a bronze medal game. While the top two RSEQ teams will go to nationals, should COVID-19 issues prevent one of those teams from competing, the bronze medal game will determine who replaces that team at nationals.

This structure also allows the Bishop’s Gaiters, last in the RSEQ standings, and Carleton the opportunity to play playoff hockey. The season was shortened due to public health restrictions in January and the expanded structure means Bishop’s and Carleton get a chance to prove themselves in the playoffs.

The structure will see the top four teams play in the semifinals, while the fifth and sixth place teams—Carleton and Bishop’s—will play a preliminary series of their own. The winners of the semifinals will face off for the RSEQ championship while the losers, along with Carleton and Bishop’s, will play a bronze semifinal and final series.

Ahead of their playoff series, Carleton and Bishop’s have met three times this year, with Carleton taking two of those games. Both teams will move on to play the bronze medal semifinals, although the Carleton-Bishop’s series will determine the teams’ seeding.

Ahead of the series, which begins 7 p.m. Thursday, Alain emphasized the team’s excitement for the playoffs.

“We haven’t made playoffs … for years, so that’s very exciting,” Alain said.

Featured image by Isaac Phan Nay.