The Ravens men’s hockey season ended earlier than planned as they were eliminated by the Université de Québec à Trois-Rivières Patriotes in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) semifinals.

The hours, days, and weeks afterward were difficult for all members of the 2014-15 team, Carleton forward Nick Duhn said.

This feeling of disappointment was only amplified because of players such as Jeff Hayes, Matthew Stanisz, Joe Pleckaitis, Damian Cross, Michael Lomas, Tim Billingsley, and Duhn, who are all planning to graduate this year and will likely not get the chance to wear the Ravens uniform again.

“Obviously it wasn’t the way we wanted it to end but the guys put it all out there for the last four years I’ve been here anyways,” Duhn said. “We had a great team, especially this year, and we just came up short in the end.”

Pleckaitis was the team’s top scorer this year, scoring 16 goals, leaving him tied with fellow graduate Hayes for the all-time Ravens record with 56 goals in his career.

Cross was the team’s established captain, recording 25 points last season.

Meanwhile, Stanisz was the highest scoring defenceman in the program’s history.

“For us, we’re losing Stanisz and Billingsley as well, and they really led us on defence,” said Ravens second-year defenceman Jason Seed said.

But while Pleckaitis, Cross, Stanisz and company represent an apparent loss on next year’s scoresheet, the Ravens will have to endure a different type of loss with Duhn set to become a member of the Ravens alumni.

In 54 games as a Raven, Duhn scored just four goals and recorded only nine points. These numbers don’t seem to bother Duhn though, who says he was happy to be more of a role player for the team in his career.

“I’m an energy guy, I like to throw the body around and try to get the guys going,” Duhn said. “The odd time I get a goal here or an [assist] there, but mostly I like to play physical and big to get the guys’ energy up.”

Despite the team’s apparent loss, on and off the ice, Duhn said he’s confident the Ravens management will continue the winning legacy established by last year’s national championship berth.

“Over the last two years, the program has grown so much,” Duhn said.

“I’ve been a part of that growth.  It’s been an honour to be a part of that and I think it’s just going to get better and better for the guys that come after me.”

While in pursuit of replacement goal scorers, Marty Johnston said he is also looking to replace Duhn, who was a charismatic and hard-working player in a Ravens uniform.

“He’s basically what we want every player to represent in terms of being a hard worker, good teammate, and good student,” Johnston said. “He filled all of those roles and he’s going to be missed on and off the ice next season. We certainly want more Nick Duhns to come through our program in the future.”