One of Carleton’s first sports teams is set to begin the 2015 season. The golf team’s first tournament of the season begins on Sept. 12, and assistant coach Dave McBain said the team is ready for a challenge for the upcoming campaign.

McBain, who doubles as the head instructor at Performance 54 Golf, said the team is in a building phase and is excited for the upcoming campaign after a successful trip to the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) championship in Oshawa last year. In the men’s division, Carleton placed 13th out of 17 teams at the 2014 championships, while the women’s side finished ninth out of 10.

However, McBain said that with key returns, the team expects a better finish at the provincial title tournament this time around. Tyler Watson was Carleton’s best on the men’s team, tying for 39th overall. He will be a Raven again this season.

“We’re very much a building program,” McBain said. “We built a three-year plan that started last year, so we’re entering our second season.” While last year focused on infrastructure, this year’s phase of the plan focuses more on on-course success.

“Instead of just competing in the OUA championships, we’re hoping to make the top ten, and next year the top five,” McBain said. “The top five move on to the national championship.”

The three-year objective’s mission statement states the program’s main goal. The coaches hope to develop “a sustainable athletic program that leads to success for our golf team members in competition and in life,” as stated in a PowerPoint slide provided by McBain.

Samantha Coates is one of the strongest female players on the team, and could help propel them close to the top five, according to McBain.

She’s brought her experience as a hockey player to the golf course, which has translated to success. “She has tremendous athletic ability and a solid golf swing,” McBain said. “That’s why she always finishes top 10.”

Coates is a former defenceman with the Ravens women’s hockey team, playing eight games in 2013-14.

With the Canadian finals as the ultimate goal, McBain said it helps that his philosophy resonates well with head coach Andrew Donaldson.

“That’s why we volunteer our time,” McBain said. “We work well together and are able to develop a plan that works for these kids, focusing on their development.”

Golf is primarily known as a mental sport, according to the assistant coach. McBain said Watson, who McBain repeatedly identified as one of the best players on the team, he has strength to his game that can sometimes be overshadowed by mental barriers.

“He’s constantly trying to overcome the mental demons that create fear and uncertainty out there,” McBain said. “And he’s been working very hard at that, outside the university realm as well.”
Watson’s final round score in the 2014 provincials was inside the top 10.

The Ravens golf team open their season with their host tournament, the Carleton Ravens Invitational at Greensmere Golf and Country Club. The course is located in Carp, Ont.