Carleton Ravens player tackles Waterloo Warriors running back Quinten Springer (34) at a football game in Waterloo, Ont. on Oct. 14, 2023. [Photo by Tiffany Luke]

The Carleton Ravens football team overcame a sizable deficit in their penultimate regular season game, clawing back to win 31-30 against the Waterloo Warriors at Warrior Field Oct. 14. 

Carleton clinched the postseason as they hold tie-breaking wins over Waterloo and the Toronto Varsity Blues. Both Carleton and Waterloo entered the matchup with 2-4 records while battling multiple teams vying for the final positions in the OUA playoffs.

Carleton’s final regular season game takes place at home next week versus the Guelph Gryphons, which will help determine their first-round opponent.

The Ravens committed a fumble on their opening kickoff return. To sacrifice the first possession of the game and give the Warriors starting field position was not the start Carleton needed at the onset of this crucial game. 

Luckily, Carleton’s defence stood tall and was able to force a turnover to prevent Waterloo from scoring any points. The defensive stop was sorely needed, but was almost immediately squandered by a frustratingly inconsistent Carleton offence. 

Carleton Ravens linebacker Chris Toupin (31) chases down Waterloo Warriors Tyler Tierney (13) at a football game in Waterloo, Ont. on Oct. 14, 2023. [Photo by Tiffany Luke]
Ravens quarterback Tristan Lefebvre threw an interception to Waterloo defensive back Isaiah Blackson, who returned the pick for a defensive touchdown. Carleton’s offence continually failed to accumulate any momentum and put together any drives of significance. The first quarter ended with a Waterloo field goal to put them up 10-0.

The second quarter began with another Waterloo field goal following a Carleton punt. 

Down thirteen points, things went from bad to worse for the Ravens. 

Another failed opportunity gave the ball back to Waterloo, who then cashed in on the drive. A screen to Waterloo running back Quentin Springer extended their lead, although the extra point following the score was blocked. 

Staring down a 19-0 deficit, Carleton finally started to break through in the second quarter.

After scoring a field goal, the Ravens forced a punt from the Warriors to grab the momentum. Carleton wide receiver Hunter Brown then tore down the sideline on a screen for a long, much-needed touchdown. 

By the end of the quarter, both teams had matching blocked field goals to conclude the first half with Waterloo leading 19-10.

Carleton Ravens defensive back Louis Lavaud (1) and linebacker Chris Toupin (31) push Waterloo Warrior out of bounds at a football game on Oct. 14, 2023. [Photo by Tiffany Luke]
Carleton quickly lost momentum in the third quarter after a massive throw to receiver James Basalyga gave Waterloo an early touchdown. 

Despite the deep ball being Carleton’s forte, the Warriors outmatched them in their own game. Another field goal and a rouge from the Warriors increased the gap to 20 points. 

However, just when Carleton needed it most, a phenomenal deep-ball score to star receiver Kaseem Ferdinand, who just eclipsed 1,000 career receiving yards,cut the Warriors’ lead down to 30-17.

Carleton carried the success into the fourth quarter, scoring on the strength of Brown’s second touchdown of the game. Waterloo let a sizable lead slip away and led the Ravens by just six points. 

Approaching a nail-biting finish, a questionable decision from Ravens head coach Corey Grant to punt at midfield paid dividends.

Carleton secured an enormous punt block to earn a favourable field position. The ensuing field goal inched Carleton closer as they trailed by three. Another stop allowed them to repeat the same process, booting yet another field goal to even out the score. 

Fortune smiled upon the Ravens as the Warriors muffed the ensuing kickoff. This conveniently placed the ball at the Warriors’ two-yard line. 

With little room for Waterloo to work with, their return punt provided Carleton a dramatic opportunity to win the game in regulation. 

With the score knotted at 30 apiece, kicker Brandon Forcier propelled the ball as hard as he could. The ball exploded off his foot and soared wide of the uprights but well clear of the endzone, capping an impressive 20-point comeback win against a formidable opponent. 

While they endured significant struggles early on, Carleton escaped with the win, exhibiting commendable resolve and grit to earn the road victory. However, if the Ravens wish to go far in the OUA playoffs, they must be able to achieve a greater level of consistency. 

The Ravens’ final regular season game against the Gryphons will take place 1 p.m. at TAAG Park on Oct. 21.

Featured image by Tiffany Luke.