Home Sports Football Ravens football season preview: key recruits and more

Ravens football season preview: key recruits and more

71

Carleton Ravens

2016 regular season record: 6-2

2016 regular season standings: 4th in Ontario University Athletics (OUA)

2016 playoff record: 1-1

2016 playoff finish: Lost 51-24 in OUA semifinal to Western

The Carleton Ravens football team ended the 2016 season with a record of six wins two losses, putting them into fourth place in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA). This gave Carleton back-to-back winning seasons for the first time since the revival of the program. They carried this momentum into the playoffs where they defeated their rivals from the University of Ottawa, making their way back to the OUA semifinal.

Like the year before, this would be as far as the team would go as they fell to the Western Mustangs 51-24. Though hosting the program’s first home playoff game was a major triumph for the program, head coach Steve Sumarah said that “losing to Western left a sour taste” for him and the team.

The Ravens will be looking to change their fate as they enter their fifth season of play in 2017. This will be no easy task however, as many of last year’s starters, on both sides of the ball, have graduated. Even with this adversity Sumarah expects great things from his squad and said that the “expectation is always the same, winning the Vanier Cup.”

“Being the fifth year of the program, I am looking forward to watching these guys, who have been with the team since day one, to touch the field and maintain the level of excellence that they began the program with,” Sumarah said.

If the Ravens hope to return to the playoffs they will need major contributions from returning players and new recruits. Carleton has improved its record each season since the football program was revived and last year was no different. However, the team will look to change its fortune from the last two years and move beyond the conference semifinal.

Their quest for the 2017 Yates Cup began in Kingston on Aug. 26 versus local rival Queen’s University, where the team was able to come back and win 22-17. Their home opener comes the following week against the always difficult McMaster Marauders on Sept. 3. Carleton then faces the defending Yates Cup champions from Wilfrid Laurier University in week three. These three games will be a good measuring stick as to how the new Ravens matchup against some of the stronger teams in the OUA.

Head Coach Profile: Steve Sumarah

Number of seasons as head coach with team: five

Number of seasons as head coach in U Sports: 11

Career regular season record with team: 15-17

Career regular season record in U Sports: 50-29

Career overall record with team (regular season and playoffs only): 16-18

Career overall record in U Sports (regular season and playoffs only): 51-30

OFFENCE

2016 Offence: 39.8

2016 Offensive Rank (OUA): 3rd

2016 Offensive Rank (U Sports): 3rd

It will be a year of adjustment for the Ravens offence. Key players such as former quarterback Jesse Mills, wide receiver Nate Behar and offensive lineman Kwabena Asare are no longer with the team. In Mills’ absence, taking the helm at quarterback will be top recruit Michael Arruda. With a new quarterback, Sumarah notes that there is going to be an adjustment period for him and the rest of offence, but believes Arruda has what it takes.

Though Behar is gone, Arruda will still have talented playmakers around him. OUA second-team All-Star Kyle VanWynsberghe and Wilson Birch are both entering their fifth and final seasons, and they will give the rookie quarterback valuable veteran targets to throw the ball to.

While out of the backfield, running back Jayde Rowe will be looking to improve on a fantastic season last year where he was named an OUA second-team All-Star. All of these changes and new faces have Sumarah “cautious but optimistic” about the Ravens offence in 2017-18.

Key recruits:

QB Michael Arruda

OL Tanner Geddes

REC Khalik Johnson

REC Owen Clement

Key losses:

QB Jesse Mills, WR Nathanial Behar, OL Kwabena Asara

DEFENCE

2016 Defence: 18.8

2016 Defensive Rank (OUA): 4th

2016 Defensive Rank (U Sports): 7th

Even with the departure of defensive backs Nathaniel Hamlin, Tunde Adeleke, and defensive lineman Emmaunel Adusei, Sumarah said he believes defense will be the team’s biggest strength in 2017. It is hard to disagree with that sentiment as the heart and soul of the team, Leon Cenerini, will be returning for his fifth and final year. Also returning will be last year’s Carleton sack leader Dean Ogunyinka.

Last year’s interception leader, defensive back Jay Dearborne, and James McCallum will look to fill the shoes left by Adeleke and Hamlin. There is a lot to like about the Ravens defence this year, but the biggest question mark will be how the departure of Adeleke and Hamlin affects the defensive backfield. If the defence wants to improve on its impressive campaign last year it will be on Dearborne, McCallum and the rest of the backfield to step up.

Key recruits:

DB Danny McWhirter

DB/LB Aidan Ross

LB Trevor Hoyte

DL Hunter Dickerson

Key losses:

DB Nathaniel Hamlin, DB Tunde Adeleke & DL Emmanuel Adusei

SPECIAL TEAMS

Special teams were a major strength for the Ravens last year, led by OUA first-team All-Star kick returner Adeleke and OUA second-team All-Star kicker Mike Domagala. Though Domagala returns for his fifth and final season, Adeleke’s departure is a major loss for the team. His explosiveness consistently gave the Ravens offence great field position all season long as well as putting up points on five separate punt returns.

In his absence Sumarah said he plans to have the position filled by a committee of players until someone steps up. Until then, the Ravens offence might have to play deeper in their own territory then they are otherwise used to.    

Key recruits:

Danny McWhirter (punt returner)

Key losses:

DB Tunde Adeleke

Photo by Jordan Haworth