The Carleton Ravens football team faces off against the Queen's University Gaels on Sept. 18 at the Ravens Perch in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

The Carleton Ravens football team fell to the Queen’s Gaels 41-14 in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) quarterfinals Saturday, ending their season with the team’s second first-round playoff loss in the last three years.

The Ravens struggled from the beginning, falling behind 15-0 before the end of the first quarter. 

“I think we had a couple chances to make some plays and we didn’t,” Ravens head coach Steve Sumarah said. “They got some momentum and unfortunately when you get momentum, it’s hard to stop it and basically they just kept going and we struggled.”

While victory was still in reach for Carleton with plenty of time left, there were few signs of life on both sides of the ball. The defence seemed fatigued as the Gaels buzzed offensively drive after drive. The offence had trouble asserting itself, largely due to difficulty quelling the Queen’s pass rush.

While the Ravens’ offence eventually managed to get on the board, Queen’s strong first half was simply too much to overcome. Carleton improved in the second half on both sides of the ball but couldn’t fight its way back into the game.

Despite the offensive struggles, first-year quarterback Reid Vankoughnett showed signs of strength throughout the game. A little over halfway through the second quarter, Vankoughnett completed a dart down the left sideline to Khalik Johnson, a 41-yard reception which set up a Glodin Mulali touchdown to get the Ravens on the board. 

Vankoughnett, who was inserted as a starter after two games due to a season-ending injury to Tanner DeJong, has grown as a player throughout the season, Sumarah said.

“It was a tough situation,” Sumarah said. “It was not what he had anticipated and it’s probably not what we anticipated, but he was getting better every week and every day.”

Vankoughnett’s role next year is unknown, but his improvement this season greatly impacts his future as a quarterback.

“He’s a competitor and he wanted to do well. He did a good job,” Sumarah said.

Ravens football head coach Steve Sumarah talks to his players after their 18-6 loss to the Queen’s Gaels on Sept. 18. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

For his part, Ravens third-string quarterback Tristan Lefebvre entered the game late, completing two passes for a total of 59 yards. That set up Carleton’s second touchdown, Mitch Raper’s three-yard run, making it a 41-14 game late in the fourth.

There were rumours before the game that DeJong would return from his injury and start for Carleton, but that was not to be.

“Obviously we were looking at it,” Sumarah said. “I think it was a little hopeful on everybody’s part. I don’t think he was quite ready to do that.”

Despite DeJong’s absence on the field, his presence on the sideline and in the locker room was vital for the team.

“He is your fifth-year guy and he’s motivation for your team and having him out there was a positive for sure,” Sumarah said.

This concludes a challenging season for the Ravens. The pandemic-shortened six-game schedule proved difficult against OUA East opponents, while losing DeJong derailed plans completely only two games in.

“The offence was built for a fifth-year guy,” Sumarah said. “We had to adapt it and try to find [Vankoughnett’s] strengths—things he was good at and things he needed to work on.”

A positive from DeJong’s injury was the development of the three young Carleton quarterbacks: Vankoughnett, Lefebvre and Tristan Rinaldis. For the Ravens, who haven’t passed the regional semifinals since 1986, it could mean a bright future.

“My biggest disappointment is that obviously we haven’t been able to get over that hump,” Sumarah said. “The people always make your job great and my job is fantastic because I get to deal with these guys on a daily basis.”