Daniel McNicoll, a defensive back with the Carleton Ravens football team, has received a two-year sanction for an anti-doping rule violation, according to the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport (CCES).

“It’s been very disappointing . . . We’ve done a lot in terms of educating our student athletes on banned substances, the use of them, the health risks as well as the legal risks and their impact on their sport,” said Jennifer Brenning, Carleton’s director of recreation and athletics.

A press release from the CCES noted a urine sample collected on Oct. 1, 2015 revealed a presence of D- and L- amphetamine.

“What he had indicated to us is that he had taken Adderall, which is used for—Im not a physician, so Im not speaking from expertise—but what I understand is that it’s used for individuals with ADHD and it helps people focus,” Brenning said. “He wasn’t taking it [for] performance-enhancing, he was taking it for academic reasons.”

“D- and L-amphetamine is classified as a ‘specified substance’ on the World Anti-Doping Agency Prohibited List,” the press release said.

“Under the rules of the Canadian Anti-Doping Program (CADP), the period of ineligibility for a first violation for the presence of a ‘specified substance’ is two years, unless an athlete can meet the conditions for eliminating or reducing the period of ineligibility.”

Following the Oct. 1 Panda Game against the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees, McNicoll played on Oct. 7 against Windsor, then missed the season finale and two playoff games.

According to the CCES, McNicoll waived his right to a hearing and accepted the two year suspension. McNicoll’s suspension will conclude on Nov. 9, 2018.

In the CCES’ File Outcome Summary, it noted McNicoll didn’t have a prescription for the substance, he didn’t acquire the substance from a medical doctor or a pharmacist, and “knew he was ingesting a Specified Substance, improperly obtained, just days prior to a Football competition.”