Windsor Lancers running back Joey Zorn (8) runs with the ball at a football game in Windsor, Ont. on Oct. 28, 2023. [Photo by Connor Sykes]

The Carleton Ravens football team’s season concluded Oct. 28 as they lost their first round playoff matchup to the Windsor Lancers with a score of 14-11 at Alumni Stadium. 

In a gruelling, defensive slugfest, the Ravens’ offence was incapable of consistent and sizable drives throughout the game to support their strong defence. After falling in the first round of the OUA playoffs, Carleton will have to retool for next season after their championship aspirations quickly fizzled. 

The opening drive of the match resulted in a punt from the home team Lancers, quickly followed by a two-and-out from the visiting Ravens. As the Windsor offence barrelled down the field on the ensuing drive, it was up to the Ravens’ defence to match them. They defended perfectly in the red zone and blocked a field goal to stymie the Lancers. 

Although a relatively uneventful first quarter, a sack on Ravens quarterback Tristan Lefebvre resulted in a fumble and was recovered by the Windsor defence. This led to a successful field goal, handing the Lancers a modest 3-0 lead entering the second quarter. 

The following quarter made the previous seem like a shootout, as neither club was able to garner any offence. 

It wasn’t until three minutes remained in the first half that the Lancers threw a bomb to wide receiver Colby Ginn. The play was penalized for pass interference but represented a milestone for an offensively uneventful outing thus far.

Although the Lancers’ drive only resulted in a punt, Carleton was unable to properly field the ball in the end zone, resulting in a one-point addition to Windsor’s total. A rare 4-0 score faced the Carleton offence, which hadn’t mustered anything in their most important test of the year. 

A final Windsor drive was squashed by an interception from defensive back Othman Brahm, but the play rang hollow following a mistake-prone first half.

The second half began much the same for Carleton as they missed a field goal immediately following halftime. 

While the offence floundered, a crucial interception from Ravens cornerback Eljames Aiguomudu combined with a sizable runback breathed life into the Ravens’ spirits. 

However, the Ravens were simply on the defensive far too much in an elimination game. Three straight goal-line opportunities resulted in a crushing turnover on downs. As they fought while backed up against their own end-zone, the Ravens’ ability to play at an elite level even when saddled with offensive struggles was commendable. 

The Lancers rolled into the final quarter of this tightly contested matchup with a small 4-2 lead.

Carleton scrounged together their first offensive points of the game early in the quarter after a field goal granted them a 5-4 lead. Windsor’s quarterback switch removed starter Danny Skelton and thrust backup Nick Dimovski into the spotlight. 

Following the change, a long Windsor field goal flipped the score back in their favour with a 7-5 lead. 

Carleton marched back down the field and completed a touchdown off a sneaky pass from backup quarterback Tristan Rinaldis

While disheartened by an unsuccessful two-point conversion, Carleton’s 11-7 lead was incredible considering their tough first half. But in perfect response, Windsor retaliated with a surgical drive and touchdown of their own, courtesy of defensive back Evan Martin, to flip the score once more. 

Facing a 14-11 deficit, Carleton had control of their own fate with enough time for a game-winning drive. A fortunate defenceless player call by the referee greatly benefited the Ravens in what should have been a lifeline for a struggling offence. Instead, Lefebvre threw a backbreaking end-zone interception. 

A clutch defensive stop shortly after gave the Ravens’ offence one last chance at victory. While they were able to squeak into field goal range, the attempt came up short, dashing Carleton’s comeback hopes.

After suffering an avoidable first round exit, a season full of inconsistency is sealed and brings with it a long offseason of evaluation.  

Considering a season-long trend of offensive struggles, personnel changes may be needed to be more competitive next season come playoff time. Reaching the postseason was a respectable result, but so much was left on the table for this talented Ravens squad.

Featured image by Connor Sykes.