Mens Football rush the field before a home game against Guelph. [Photo by Tim Austen]

In front of a packed crowd of students partaking in frosh weekend, the Carleton Ravens football team were defeated 37-20 by the University of Guelph Gryphons.  

Guelph started the game at a blistering pace, going seven points up after 15 seconds. Right off kickoff, Gryphons receiver Clark Barnes went on a 106-yard run straight into the endzone. Guelph’s kicker, Eric Stranz would then follow up with a clean kick through the uprights. 

First Quarter playing out under the sunset [Photo by Tim Austen]
“I was just trying to make a big play to start off the game, we game-planned the kick-off return, we knew what they were going to come out and do, so we had a game plan for the return, and I just saw my hole, I took it and tried to get the energy up,” Barnes said. 

Carleton bounced back quickly. With eight minutes left in the first quarter, Ravens quarterback Tanner DeJong would send receiver Quinton Soares on a 91-yard run into the endzone. Kicker Kieran Flannery-Fleck would follow up with a successful conversion kick to tie the game at seven apiece. 

Soon thereafter, the Ravens were forced to set up for a field goal, resulting in the Ravens taking a 10-7 lead through Vincent Plouffe’s kick. 

Quinton Soares running freely toward the end zone. [Photo by Tim Austen]
Guelph soon returned the favour with their own field goal, Stranz tieing the game at ten. 

Carleton appeared to be in the ascendency, when wide receiver Chad Manchulenko caught an eight-yard pass in the end zone, and with Plouffe’s conversion kick being successful, Carleton would find themselves up 17-10. 

But shortly before halftime, the Gryphons took a 20-17 lead as an advantageous field goal from Stranz and a follow up touchdown would be good to reclaim the lead. 

Partway through the third quarter, a set of plays would lead Carleton to setting up for a field goal in which Flannery-Fleck successfully tied the game up at 20. The game was perfectly poised for a dramatic ending.

“It was pretty cool. Coach David Caron told me last second you’re doing a field goal, and then two plays later I was in for the 40-yarder, and I felt pretty good, I knew going in that I had the leg, and I was really confident and feeling good,” Flannery-Fleck said.

Manchulenko on the sidelines after scoring a touchdown. [Photo by Tim Austen]
Unfortunately, Carleton soon lost their way. With time winding down in the third, quarterback Tanner DeJong threw a panic pass straight into the arms of Gryphons linebacker A.J. Allen, who ran the ball 25-yards into the end zone. Another successful conversion kick from Stranz good  would give his team a 27-20 lead over the Ravens. 

The Gryphons didn’t look back, taking a 30-20 lead early in the fourth quarter as Stranz sent the ball straight through the uprights on a 19-yard field goal attempt. 

To cap off their successful start in the game, the Gryphons scored one final touchdown in the last minute of the game which resulted in them seizing a 37-20 victory. 

Tevin Bowen makes a tackle during a fourth quarter goal line stand. [Photo by Tim Austen]
As Carleton heads into their bye week for week three, the Ravens will be looking to fix things on their offence and discipline. 

“Well, I think we got to be more disciplined on penalties. But I think overall, we need to work on just about everything, especially on the offensive side of the ball,” Ravens linebacker Jack Cassar said. 

Playing strong under pressure is something the team needs to focus on according to Ravens head coach, Steve Sumarah. 

“At the end of the day we didn’t get it done when we needed to and they made plays. We didn’t necessarily make the plays when the time was there.”

The Ravens will play their next match against the Western Mustangs on September 14 at 7p.m. in London, Ont.