Home Sports Football Ravens football beats York for third win

Ravens football beats York for third win

50

The Carleton Ravens football team played a dominant game over the York Lions on Sept. 24 at York Stadium while cruising to a 50-7 win.

“We knew that they have a strong offence and we felt if we could keep the ball longer we could have success. Obviously a great game from [running back] Jayde [Rowe],” said Ravens head coach Steve Sumarah.

The Ravens started the game off quickly, as they moved 69 yards down the field before quarterback Jesse Mills completed a seven-yard toss to Kyle VanWynsberghe for the first touchdown of the game.

Carleton marched 106 yards down the field on their next drive to give themselves a two-score advantage.

Rowe rushed for 55 yards during the drive, while running back Nathan Carter rushed into the end zone to secure the touchdown.

About halfway through the second quarter, the Ravens were stopped deep in their own territory and forced to punt. Michael Domagala got the ball 34 yards down the field, but York returner Kadeem Thomas found space and broke away for a 50-yard return touchdown to pull the Lions within seven points of Carleton.

Following the York score, Carleton handed the ball to Rowe again and they drove 64 yards before Domagala hit a 15-yard field goal to put the Ravens up 17-7.

With 45 seconds remaining in the half, York quarterback Brett Hunchak dropped back to try and throw, but was intercepted by Ravens defensive back Guillaume Caron.

Carleton wasted no time, as Mills found VanWynsberghe in the back of the end zone to put the Ravens up 24-7 before the end of the half.

In the second half, Carleton’s lead continued to grow. On their first drive after the break, Rowe added another 62 yards on the ground and capped off the drive with a one-yard touchdown.

After York fumbled on a punt return, Rowe found the end zone again on a 19-yard run to put Carleton up 38-7.

Early in the fourth quarter, the Ravens took out starters Mills and Rowe and replaced them with Tanner DeJong and Kurtis Burton-Rowe. Burton-Rowe ran 51 yards before Carleton added another field goal to push their lead to 41-7.

After being pinned in their own end, the Lions were forced to give up a safety to add another two points to Carleton’s lead.

With about four minutes left to play, DeJong connected on a 45-yard pass to receiver Phil Iloki before Carter would add his second score of the game, running it in from five yards out to wrap up the game at 50-7.

Up next, the Ravens will take on the c during the annual Panda Game on Oct. 1 at TD Place, which will be broadcast nationally on City.

“[U of O] are one of the top ranked teams in the country right now and are sure playing like it,” Sumarah said. “We have a lot of work to do this week but we need to focus on us, not them.”