FigureSkating2019/20

It was an early morning for figure skating fans on Nov. 21 as the 2019 Ontario University Athletics Fall Figure Skating Invitational kicked off at 7:30 a.m. in the Carleton Ice House.

McGill University, as well as nine universities from Ontario, made the trip to Ottawa for the first of three competitions this season, competing in eleven different events. 

Carleton submitted 17 skaters into the competition, the maximum for the event, and finished seventh overall with 19 points. 

The Toronto University Varsity Blues won the event with 61 points while Western University (49 points) and McGill University (45 points) placed second and third respectively. 

Six Ravens scored points across the individual and duet categories including Vanessa Chartrand, Hannah Whitley, David Birinberg, Elsa Piersig, Yasmine Arshad and Grace Duncan. 

One of the first skaters on the ice for Carleton was co-captain Amanda Cousineau. A skater since the third grade, she is now entering her fourth season with the team and highlighted the community feel within the club. 

“It’s like one big family,” said Cousineau. “There will be two people training for an event and only one person can go out and do it, nobody cares who goes out to do it, they just cheer each other on.”

“Varsity is honestly more fun than skating by yourself because it’s a team. When you just skate individually, it’s just, you’re always by yourself but here, everybody’s like cheering you on so it’s honestly so much more fun.”

With one more invitational before the OUA Championships, the Ravens are looking to improve.

“The team [is] most likely to improve our general cumulative points because it is a team event and we’re scored on each event individually,” said Chartrand. “Gain more points in general, improve the programs and make a good showing at the next show.”

Head coach Laura Kilpatrick also has a few changes in mind for the team. 

“Higher technical elements and what not, staying competitive with the other teams and schools. Just being able to have them showcase what they do in practice out on competition ice,” said Kilpatrick. 

“We have some really great skaters, some new skaters as well this year.”

Carleton had four skaters place in last season’s edition of the OUA Championship.

“They’re looking to hopefully defend [their titles] at the end of the season,” said Kirkpatrick.

Chartrand and Whitley, are the defending OUA champions of Open Rhythm Dance event and finished in second place at the invitational. 

For Chartrand, last year was the first time she placed at the championships and being a high-level ice dancer since the age of two, the result was a rewarding one.  

“It was a really good experience,” said Chartrand. “To get that chance to place at OUA … it’s like an honour to be able to compete, represent your school and then to place at that level is a nice sense of accomplishment.”

“We’re hoping to get our title back.”

The Ravens will look to improve for the Winter Invitational hosted by Aylmer University on Jan. 21-22.

Feature image provided.