The Carleton Ravens and the University of Ottawa (U of O) Gee-Gees hit the ice at TD Arena for the second annual Colonel By Classic on Nov. 17. The Ravens fell to the Gee-Gees 4-3, as the Gee-Gees looked to get their first win against Carleton this year and take home the Colonel By Classic banner.

The first period of the game was defined by a hard-hitting, defensive style of play, with the Gee-Gees outshooting the Ravens 11-8.

Ravens goaltender Francois Brassard stood strong, kicking out all the shots pointed towards him, with many coming from high danger spots.

Carleton would have the first opportunity on the power play in the first period, which U of O goalie Graham Hunt was able to steer aside to keep it scoreless. Despite a late power play effort with three minutes left in the period, the score would remain at 0-0.

The second period began with a Gee-Gees power play as Ravens forward Dakota Odgers sat in the penalty box for two minutes following a late first period scrum involving both teams after the horn. The Ravens’ highly ranked penalty kill continued to cement itself as a unit to be feared, allowing just two shots and not allowing the Gee-Gees to get into their rhythm in the offensive zone.

More of the same tight play continued with neither team being able to figure out the two strong goaltenders. Carleton opened the scoring after Gee-Gees defenseman Matt Dunlop gave up the puck in the high slot and Ravens forward Justin Burnside tipped the puck around the goalie and slid it in.

The Gee-Gees found a way to figure out Brassard on the power play, following an uncharacteristic collapse on the penalty kill, with Patrick White being able to push it in five-hole from below the goal line.

With points on the board, the game began to heat up with Ravens forward Jared Steege and Gee-Gees defenseman Cody Van Lierop looking to start a fight, which was quickly broken up by the officials.

With 1:52 remaining in the second period, a hush fell over the crowd as the U of O’s top scorer, Kevin Domingue, fell to the ice after being hit in the mouth by a tipped slapshot. He did not return during the period.

The Ravens were able to capitalize just before the end of the second period, as Adam Chapman beat Hunt short-side with a quick snapshot, putting the Ravens up 2-1 going into the third period.

The third period began with Carleton on their heels, as the Gee-Gees were desperate to capitalize on the tired and often lost-looking Ravens. Within a minute of the opening face-off, Gee-Gees forward Mitchell Gibson found himself with space in the offensive zone and managed to beat Brassard cleanly, bringing the score up to 2-2.

As the shots began to add up for the Gee-Gees, an increasingly nervous Ravens team had a hard time matching the energy of their opponent. The Ravens took several penalties, allowing the U of O to capture momentum on offence.

Three minutes into the third period, Medric Mercier would find the back of the net again for the Gee-Gees, giving them their first lead of the game, and one that they would not relinquish.

Steege had the best opportunity to tie up the game, splitting the defence for a breakaway but a late stick check caused the puck to bounce harmlessly into the corner.

The U of O would add another goal from Domingue, who returned to the game wearing a cage, after a dump-in shot directed at the glass behind the net came back and deflected off Brassard’s back and into the net, making the game 4-2 for the U of O.

Carleton would add a goal with five seconds left after a late push, but it was too little too late as the Gee-Gees marked their first win over the Ravens this season and took home the Colonel By Classic banner, winning 4-3.

Head coach Shaun Van Allen was critical of the team’s play, citing a lack of effort and decision-making. The usually strong Ravens power play was held to zero goals in the game.

“We had guys open and we didn’t make the right decisions. Sometimes the best penalty kill is a bad power play and that’s what it was tonight,” Van Allen said.

Echoing Van Allen’s disappointment, Ravens captain Brett Welychka said, “the only player who deserves credit is [Brassard].”

The next night, the Ravens took on the Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières (UQTR) Patriotes, hoping to bounce back after a tough loss.

The Ravens were unable to beat the Patriotes and lost 4-2.

“I think we played one of our best games of the year despite the results. We stuck to our system and it makes us a tougher team to play against,” Van Allen said.

The Ravens were able to outshoot the Patriotes 32-19 but couldn’t seem to beat UQTR goaltender Sébastien Auger.

The two losses mark the Ravens’ first losing weekend of the season and dropped their record to 8-3-1.

The Ravens will look to rebound against the York Lions and Ryerson Rams on Nov. 24 and 25.

Photo by Dan Robertson