If physicality was lacking against UQTR, the Ravens made up for it in their game against the McGill Redmen. (Photo by Sarah Snider)

Following a lacklustre start against their rivals L’Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières (UQTR) Jan. 25, the Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team knew their next game versus the McGill Redmen would require a much different start.

The Ravens fell 5-1 to UQTR in a game that head coach Marty Johnston called “a disappointment.”

The men followed the loss with a 4-3 win over the Redmen Jan. 27.

“When we don’t have guys coming out with a jump to their stride we can’t expect to win games, especially against a team as strong as UQTR,” Johnston said.

The Ravens lacked a physical presence and again failed to capitalize on a power play that has struggled perpetually throughout the year.

“That seems to be our story of the second half of this season is our power play,” Johnston said.

Despite the Ravens outshooting UQTR 28-25, the men felt that the lack of life in the first 20 minutes continued into the rest of the game.

“We have to come out with a physical presence and put pressure on teams right off the start,” Ravens co-captain Joey Manley said.

Manley was the lone scorer in Friday’s match against UQTR.

He did not have much to say about his lone goal but knew what the team had to do against a “solid” McGill squadron.

“We’re going to have to come out firing from all cylinders today against McGill—you can expect a hard-hitting game,” Manley said prior to the game.

He wasn’t kidding.

If the men lacked physicality in their game against UQTR, they certainly made up for it against the Redmen.

A flagrant two-handed slash delivered to the back of third-year forward Tyler Taylor’s leg by McGill’s Neil Blunden caused a fight to ensue between the two players.

The referees dealt game misconducts for fighting to both players.

Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) regulations call for immediate one-game suspensions for players who fight.

In addition, Blunden received an additional five-minute major penalty for slashing. Johnston was unimpressed by the play, saying it was something “that would never be seen from our side.”

In addition to Carleton’s physicality and offensive production, their weak power play began to show signs of life.

“We were happy with our power play tonight,” Johnston said.

“We were given opportunities, and for the most part took advantage of those.”

Jeff Hayes, Mitch Porowski, and Manley were Carleton’s first power-play unit.

“I felt as though we had good chemistry tonight,” Manley said.

“We were moving the puck well in their end and had an ample amount of shots, so I thought our power play was better tonight.”

Hayes, who has been a highlight-reel player throughout most of the season, was again responsible for two Ravens goals on a three-point night against McGill.

“I was happy to put up the points,” Hayes said. “Working alongside Porowski and Manley went well tonight.”

“This is a start of what we should come to expect when playoffs begin,” Johnston said.