Carleton's men's soccer team fell during quarter final action against the University of Cape Breton. (File photo)

The Carleton Ravens men’s soccer team won both games of their season opening weekend Sept. 1-2 at Ravens Field.

The men trailed early Sept. 1 against the University of Toronto Varsity Blues, going down 0-1 in the first five minutes of the match, but came back to win 3-1 with three goals in the second half.

“We had an awful first half,” Ravens captain Sam McHugh said. “Luckily we showed some character and picked it up.”

Ravens forward Andrew Latty scored twice for the victors and Christophe Laberge-Perrault headed a free kick past the keeper to round out the scoring.

Carleton goalkeeper Mark Krocko stopped the only other shot he faced as the Ravens outshot the Blues 8-2.

“Toronto has always been a tough game for us, to get the win at home is great,” Ravens assistant coach Kwesi Loney said.

The men won their second game of the weekend Sept. 2 against the Ryerson Rams by a score of 2-0.

Midfielder Joey Kewin scored in the 10th minute and Latty netted his third goal of the weekend as the men got all the scoring done in the first half.

Krocko recorded the shutout for the Ravens as they outshot the Rams 7-5.

“After playing 90 minutes [against U of T], you’re just looking for a consistent effort. I think we got the effort and it shows in the result,” Loney said.

The start of the season was similar to last year when the Ravens beat the Blues and Rams in Toronto.

“The two teams we played are tougher teams in the division. To get the two wins shows we are doing some things well and the guys are gelling well,” Loney said.

“We don’t want to drop any games at home like we did last year, so it was very important to get the 6 points,” Latty said.

“It’s the first two games of the year. You want to start the season off on a good note,” Loney said.

“Hopefully it sets the tone for the season, but we still have a number of games to play and it’s a long truck ahead of us.”

Last season ended with disappointment for the Ravens, who lost in the OUA semifinal to McMaster before losing the bronze medal game to York.

“Provincials are a long way away, you just try and take it one game at a time,” Loney said.

The Ravens ended the 2011 season with an 11-3 record and ranked fourth in the final CIS top 10 rankings.

”Last season was last season. We’re just trying to work back to that moment,” Loney said.

As usual, a new season brings new faces to a team and also bigger roles. This is the case for fifth year midfielder McHugh who is stepping into his first year as captain.

“Its never easy to fill a captain’s role,” Loney said. “As a senior player, he has all the qualities and he leads by example.”

McHugh said he is excited for the new role and is ready for the added pressures.

“For me, the big thing will be Leadership, naturally I’m a quiet guy,” McHugh said. “I just have to be the role model on and off the field for the new guys coming in.”

The Ravens will look to continue their great start to the season as they host Laurentian and Nipissing Sept. 8-9.