Photo by Kennedy Harvey.

The Carleton Ravens made their way to London Sept. 26 to face the Western Mustangs in their homecoming football game. The team suffered a 70-14 loss, making their record 3-2.

Western started the game off quickly, getting two touchdowns in the first four minutes. But Ravens’ leading receiver Nate Behar said this was all Westerns offence and not the fans.

“I don’t think the crowd really had much to do with [the loss],” Behar said. “It was more how we handled our assignments.”

The defence did a good job holding Western’s strong offensive line for the rest of the first quarter.

Western went into the game leading the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) in interceptions, but it was the Ravens’ Graham Keith who made the first interception of the game near the end of the first quarter.

Carleton finally made it on the board early in the second quarter with a touchdown by running back Jahvari Bennet. Mike Domagala kicked to give the Ravens the extra point.

Shortly after, Western threw a 32-yard pass and a 28-yard pass, which resulted in two more touchdowns for the Mustangs.

The Ravens were doing a good job moving the ball, but if they made any minor errors, or strayed from their original game plan, Western took advantage of it in a big way.

“You can’t make those mistakes with a team this good,” said Ravens quarterback Jesse Mills. “They are so talented from top to bottom.”

Shortly after, Jesse Mills found Nate Behar in the end zone, and threw 19 yards for a touchdown. Mike Domagala again kicked for the extra point.

From then on, Western’s defence stepped up their game, not allowing the Ravens into the end zone again in the game.

“We didn’t execute our game plan the way we wanted to, but they’re a very talented defence so you have to give them that,” Mills said.

Western’s offence finished the first half of the game with a field goal and two more touchdowns.

The third quarter was very slow. Ravens offence fought hard, but Western’s defence wasn’t letting the Ravens score get any higher.

Halfway through the third, Mills saw the CIS interception leaders in action. The Mustangs managed to take that interception and get a touchdown just a few plays later.

Western finished the game by getting two more touchdowns in the fourth quarter, finishing the game with a final score of 70-14. After a tough loss, the Ravens return to their nest to practice for one of the biggest games of the season.

They face their rival team, the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees (2-2), in the annual Panda Game at TD Place. The game starts at 1 p.m. on Saturday Oct. 3.