[Photo from file]

The Carleton Ravens defeated the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees in double overtime 48-45 in the Panda Game at TD Place on Oct. 3.

Both teams suffered losses last week and said they were looking to redeem themselves.

The Ravens started out strong. Quarterback Jesse Mills threw a seven-yard pass to Kyle van Wynsberghe to give the Ravens the first touchdown of the game. Mike Domagala kicked to give the Ravens a 7-0 lead.

The team again looked to Domagala to end the first quarter with a 43-yard field goal, putting the Ravens 10-0 ahead of the Gee-Gees.

The Gee-Gees responded with two touchdowns to take a four-point lead over the Ravens. Shortly after, Mills threw a 35-yard pass to Nate Behar, a duo the Gee-Gees are very familiar with after their Hail Mary which won the Ravens the game last year.

Nate Behar got the touchdown and Domagala kicked once again for the extra point. The Gee-Gees followed with another touchdown.

Attempting to keep up, Mills threw a 21-yard pass to van Wynsberghe for his second touchdown of the game.

Domagala added another point for the Ravens. The Gee-Gees finished the first half with another touchdown and team safety.

They held a 30-24 lead on the Ravens. The Gee-Gees offence fought hard during the third, but Carleton’s defence managed to keep them out of the end zone. The Gee-Gees settled with a field goal.

“Our defence played a hell of a game and they got the turnovers when they needed to,” Mills said. With little time left in the third, Christian Battistelli ran 32 yards for the Ravens’ first down.

Mills made a pass to van Wynsberghe, who handed the ball off to Battistelli for the touchdown. Mills threw the ball to van Wynsberghe in the end zone for an extra two points.

Domagala started the fourth quarter getting a field goal to tie the game 35-35. The Gee-Gees responded by matching their field goal. Carleton tied it up again with Domagala kicking a 27-yard field goal.

After an exciting four quarters, the game was still tied and went into overtime. Carleton was up first. Mills made a 15-yard pass to Wilson Birch for a touchdown. Domagala followed with another point for the Ravens. “We thought if we scored, we would have the win,” Behar said.

Behar was wrong, as the Gee-Gees got the ball back, but the Raven’s defence was too strong for them to push past.

“Our defence made a huge stop. We got that huge run, and we knew it was over,” Behar said. The ball was returned to the Ravens and Domagala kicked a 17-yard field goal to win the Panda Game.

“To do it in overtime takes a lot of resilience,” Behar said. “We played up to a really good team. It feels pretty special.”
Pedro will return to Carleton once again. The Ravens will play again on Oct. 9 at 7 p.m. against the York Lions at MNP Park.