Carleton’s varsity swim team excelled at this weekend’s GO Kingfish Polar Plunge, held at the University of Ottawa.

First-year engineering student Melinda Hubert led the team with a first-place finish in the 400m freestyle. She delivered a personal best, with a time of 4:42.01. Her performance set a Carleton record, eclipsing Paola Osario’s previous record set in 2004.

Hubert also finished third in the 100m butterfly, placing second on Carleton’s All-Time Top 20.

Mohamed Aly, who has consistently delivered strong performances throughout the season, continued to dominate at this weekend’s meet. Aly finished first in the 50m breaststroke with a time of 32.31, placing seventh on Carleton’s All-Time Top 20. He also finished third in the 50m freestyle with a time of 25.95.

Other standout swims included Thomas Leung’s second place finish in the 50m freestyle. His time of 25.50 placed him 14th on Carleton’s All-Time Top 20.

Coach Brian Hill praised the team’s effort this weekend, saying they collectively “delivered strong performances.”

The swim team is preparing for the upcoming Ontario University Athletics in London, Ont. on Feb 11-13 and Canadian Interuniversity Sport Championships, held in Quebec City on Feb. 25-27.