Photos by Julien Gignac.

The Capital Hoops Classic between the Carleton Ravens and University of Ottawa (U of O) Gee-Gees is consistenly among the biggest Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) contests every year.

This year’s match-up set a new record for a CIS regular season game for attendance, with 10,780 fans showing up to the Canadian Tire Centre (CTC) representing both schools and the Ottawa community.

“It was definitely surprising. We didn’t expect this many people to be here just for a regular season game. It really added to the intensity of the game,” Ravens fifth-year forward Thomas Scrubb said.

Former Ravens guard Osvaldo Jeanty said playing in the big stadium for Capital Hoops was his favourite part of the game.

“Just the arenas — all the fans, it feels like you’re playing in a national championship,” he said.

Ravens women’s head coach Taffe Charles echoed Scrubb’ s sentiment.

“I think the people are the biggest factor in terms of keeping [the team’s] composure level,” Charles said. “It’s one of the things we have to adjust to most playing at the CTC.”

While his team has had success in the past, the losses of late are still on his mind.

“Winning’s a good memory, so I’ll say that. We haven’t won in the past couple of years,” Charles said.

sMCHOOPS23_13_JulienGignac_(WEB)

The Capital Hoops Classic began in 2007 as only a men’s game, and the Ravens were narrowly defeated 64-62 by the Gee-Gees, a game Jeanty said was his worst memory.

It remains the only loss for the Ravens in the nine-year history of the game.

The whole game, the Ravens were playing catch-up until Jermaine Gibson-Bascombe of the Gee-Gees scored the game-winner for  in the final minutes of play.

The Ravens men’s team responded the following year in another close game to defeat the Gee-Gees 70-66.

In the women’s first game in the series, the Ravens managed to also accomplish the 53-43 win.

The fifth annual Capital Hoops women’s game was the most exciting in the history of the match-up for Charles.

“We remember the losses more, but that overtime game a couple years ago has to be the most memorable,” Charles said.

Both Ravens teams went on to win, starting with a double overtime victory for the women. The game was tied 50-50 at the end of regulation needing to go to overtime twice.

The Ravens ended up winning the game 71-63.

In the fifth Capital Hoops game, the men had a slow start, but managed to come back to win the game 75-68, led by Ravens alumnus Tyson Hinz,  who had 25 points and 10 rebounds.

The 2012 match-up, the sixth Capital Hoops contest, saw the most lopsided victory for the Carleton men’s team in a 74-34 victory.

Jeanty said the rivalry with U of O has intensified over the past few years due to the improvement of the Gee-Gees.

“Before it was mainly dominated by us, but now Ottawa U is able to win some games,” he said.

Scroll down for an infographic about the game.

CapitalHoppsInfographic