Originally from Kingston, Ont., Alexa Goldie is looking forward to bringing her country music back to her home province (Photo by Marilyn Taylor).

Alexa Goldie can’t pinpoint the exact moment she fell in love with music. Since she was two years old growing up in Kingston, Ont., she said it’s simply been  part of her life.  

Now, more than two decades later, the country music singer-songwriter has released a 2020 EP and four additional singles. She is set to perform at Ottawa Bluesfest on July 11.

Along the way, Goldie has performed in some of Nashville’s most popular venues since she moved there in 2021. She currently splits her time between Ontario and Nashville performing, writing and teaching music to young students. 

The Charlatan connected with Goldie a few days before her Bluesfest set to discuss her artistic journey.

The Charlatan (TC): When did your love of music begin?

Alexa Goldie (AG): Actually, I don’t even remember when it began. I have videos from my parents of when I was two or three years old, singing melodies with words that did not make any sense. My mom and I always watched Mamma Mia! and that, I think, grew my love for it. Also, I would get together with my cousins and they would sing songs they had written, or their favourite Taylor Swift songs when they learned them on guitar. 

TC: How did you grow into performing and creating music yourself? 

AG: Growing up in Kingston we had a lot of opportunities. There was something called Rock Academy at the Renaissance Music Store, and they had us audition to see if we wanted to be a singer or guitar player, et cetera. I auditioned, and they ended up giving me a spot as the lead singer in five rock bands. I was about 10 at the time. 

I was also part of choirs. I took any performance opportunities that I could get. I auditioned for The Next Star and made it to the TV auditions when I was 10 or 11. Then when I was 13, I signed with a record label. I spent a lot of time in Los Angeles as a singer-songwriter, recording and performing. 

TC: I’m curious about your move from Canada to Nashville. What drove you to make that move?

AG: In 2019, I was invited to play at the Listening Room Café. Little did I know I would sit on the stage with some of the best songwriters in town [such as Jenn Bostic, Jeff Cohen and Phil Barton]. My jaw just dropped the entire time. I spent five days there and met so many people so quickly, and it was crazy to me how quickly you make connections. 

I fell in love with the city right away. In September 2021, I decided to go down with my mom. For a month we rented an Airbnb, and I was just like, yeah, I need to be down here. I ended up finding a place and moved in December of 2021. 

TC: How has your move to Nashville influenced your journey as an artist?

AG: I performed down on Broadway, the main strip in Nashville, and I performed at some of the bars like Miranda Lambert’s Casa Rosa, Luke Bryan’s 32 Bridge, Jason Aldean’s, Lainey Wilson’s and Morgan Wallen’s. I would say the No. 1 thing that I’ve gotten from that is my performance skills. I’ve learned how to engage all types of audiences — because in Nashville you have people from all across the world — and I’ve learned how to write better for myself and with other people. The amount of creative juices that go through me when I’m in that city is crazy. 

TC: Given your recent Instagram post, what was it like to hear your song “Bad Boy” on SiriusXM Radio for the first time? 

AG: That was crazy. As you saw in that video, I’m speaking gibberish because it was extremely surreal. I co-wrote a song [with Bostic] called “Not My Own” about 10 years ago and a major part of it talks about how one day I’ll hear my song on SiriusXM. So to actually hear “Bad Boy” is a very full-circle moment. I still pinch myself any time I hear it on any radio station. 

From her upbeat to sad songs, Alexa Goldie hopes her listeners find healing in her music (Photo by Marilyn Taylor).

TC: How do you hope that your audience connects with your music? 

AG: I hope they find healing in it. I have a lot of sad songs, so if you’re going through a breakup or divorce, I really hope it helps you. I grew up listening to Taylor Swift, had never, ever had a boyfriend in my life, but I found that her music helped me anyway. I hope they can have fun when listening to my upbeat stuff. But with the sad songs, I just hope it gets them through tough times. 

TC: Do you think country music is a strong vessel for propelling the themes you explore? 

AG: For sure. Country music just makes you listen to the lyrics. They always tell a story. It’s my favourite thing about the genre. You feel so close to the singer because there’s never overpowering instruments and things like that. I feel like our listeners really get to listen and get a vulnerable part of us. 

TC: With your Bluesfest performance around the corner, what does it mean to you to bring your music and performance back to Canada? 

AG: You have no idea how excited I am! I’ve been coming to Bluesfest since I was 13 or 14, so I have dreamed of being on those stages for years. To be playing at the River Stage and to come back to my home province is super exciting. I have friends and family coming and locals who have messaged me. I’m just excited to see some familiar faces and be in my home country. 

TC: What are you hoping the Ottawa audience takes away from your show?

AG: We’ve thrown some fun song covers into our show, we’ve thrown in my upbeat originals, but we also kept some of the sad stuff. I just hope the audience gets to learn a little bit about Alexa Goldie by listening to my music and hopefully become fans. 

This interview has been edited for length and clarity.

Featured image by Marilyn Taylor.