Second-year student Teju Oladipo pictured in January 2023 designed this year’s line of Black History Month merchandise for Carleton University. [Photo by Raquel Steele-Saunders]

Teju Oladipo, a second-year cognitive science student from St. Catharines, Ont., has designed a line of 2023 Black History Month merchandise. Her designs were inspired by a Black History Month quotation she saw on campus that has resonated with her since last year: “History through our eyes.”

All proceeds from the sale of her designs will support the Umoja Student Bursary Fund for African, Caribbean and Black students at Carleton University. 

The Charlatan sat down with Oladipo to discuss her creative process, the inspiration behind the designs and what Black History Month means to her.

The Charlatan (TC): Tell me about the creative process that went into these designs.

Teju Oladipo (TO): In general, when I create a design, I try to [work] from a reference picture. Then I imagine how I can expand on it, whether it’s making it more surreal, or adding to the background. When it came to the Black History Month project, I started off with the [quotation], “history through our eyes,” as the basis of my idea. Then I found the reference picture and envisioned what I wanted it to look like. Most of the time, it doesn’t turn out like I had imagined, but I think that’s the beauty of the process.

TC: How did you first discover your talent for design?

TO: At first, it was mostly a hobby for me, so I didn’t see it as a talent, per se. But as I started thinking about my art more technically and trying to develop my skills to get to the next level, that’s when I realized that I wanted to start taking art seriously. I think that probably happened during [early stages of the COVID-19] pandemic, when I had more time to focus on my art.

TC: How does art fit into your day-to-day life?

TO: My day-to-day is pretty busy, so I usually don’t have a lot of time for art. I think that’s definitely one of my goals for this year, to prioritize my art. Now, I usually do it after a long day when I want to do something that shuts my brain off a little bit, like working on old pieces or drawing.

TC: As an artist of colour, what does Black History Month mean to you?

TO: Honestly, I think the quote that I use in my piece is really what Black History Month means to me. Actually listening to Black people, hearing their stories, and then using that to change the way you see the world. Even for me, I grew up in a predominantly white city. Black history was not taught in our schools. So I even have to fit in my mindset about what history looks like. I had this idea that history was centered around white people, in a way, because that’s what I was taught. As an artist during [Black History Month], I really try to focus on Black art and learning about Black artists, because they’re not celebrated all the time. If I’m creating a piece, I try to tell a story about Black history as well.

TC: Why is it so significant that funds from this project are being used to support Black students?

TO: There are Black students who are struggling financially, and it’s obviously just due to the system, and due to generational reasons that come from Black history. While this is not a solution to the problem, it’s a good way to help people who are struggling. I think that it’ll motivate people to purchase these designs as well, since it is going to a good cause. I honestly think it’s a beautiful idea.

Oladipo’s designs will be available online through March at Le Print Shoppe.

This interview has been edited for length and clarity.

Featured image by Raquel Steele-Saunders.