PWHL Ottawa forwards Brianne Jenner and Mikyla Grant-Mentis faceoff in a scrimmage at TD Place Arena Nov. 28, 2023. [Photo by David Cummings/The Charlatan]

The Professional Women’s Hockey League (PWHL) has officially released its regular season schedule, including the league’s six home openers, which are set to take place in January. 

PWHL also revealed it will be participating in the Canadian Tire PWHL 3-on-3 Showcase Feb. 1, 2024, as part of the 2024 NHL All-Star Weekend in Toronto.

The league’s inaugural regular season is a 24-game schedule, with each team set to host 12 home games.

Teams will play head-to-head at least four times, evenly split between home and road games. Playoffs are expected to begin the week of May 6. 

PWHL Ottawa will host PWHL Montreal in its home opener Jan. 2, 2024 at 7 p.m. at TD Place Arena.

PWHL Ottawa forward Brianne Jenner in a scrimmage at TD Place Arena Nov. 28, 2023. [Photo by Janson Duench/The Charlatan]
“The city of Ottawa has been incredibly welcoming to our team and our players, and we are counting down with anticipation to our first home game on January 2nd,” Ottawa GM Mike Hirshfeld said in a media release. “It will be a memorable and historic night as we officially launch our franchise.”

The team’s home opener aligns with the Ottawa 67’s road trip to face the Kingston Frontenacs Jan. 1.

As both teams now share TD Place Arena, PWHL Ottawa’s schedule will work around the 67’s’ schedule, which is already determined.

Ottawa is fortunate to have all its games scheduled at TD Place. Montreal and New York, respectively, are each splitting their home games between two venues. 

PWHL Ottawa goaltender Sandra Abstreiter prepares to make a save in a scrimmage at TD Place Arena Nov. 28, 2023. [Photo by Janson Duench/The Charlatan]
The addition of another professional hockey team to the Ottawa sports landscape is a confirmation of the city’s deep hockey roots, according to Mark Goudie, CEO of Ottawa Sports Entertainment Group. 

“Ottawa, and Lansdowne, have seen more than their share of historic hockey games over the last century and we are proud to play a small role in the latest of those with Ottawa’s first modern day professional women’s hockey team,” said Goudie in a release.

While the announcement of a game schedule was expected, the PWHL’s involvement with NHL All-Star Weekend comes as a pleasant surprise.

The exposure of PWHL players in such a marquee event will shine a spotlight on the new league one month into its inaugural season.

PWHL Ottawa defender Savannah Harmon skates with the puck in a scrimmage at TD Place Arena Nov. 28, 2023. [Photo by Janson Duench/The Charlatan]
“We can’t wait to showcase our new league and our incredible athletes on NHL All-Star Thursday,” said Jayna Hefford, PWHL senior vice-president of hockey operations, in a media release. “We’re delighted to be collaborating with the NHL, and we appreciate the opportunity to grow the game through the All-Star platform.”

Several women’s players participated in the 2023 NHL All-Star Skills Competition in Florida last year. 

Ottawa forward Emily Clark was seen passing the puck around with NHLers Kirill Kaprizov and Josh Morrissey in the Tendy Tandem event. 

While fun and light-hearted, a proper 3-on-3 game will showcase everything the PWHL wants fans to know about its brand of women’s hockey.

As Hirshfeld has said, fans should expect “a really fast and skilled game.”

In the meantime, teams work toward finalizing their lineups ahead of the league’s Dec. 7 roster deadline.

Featured image by David Cummings.