As the 2024 MLB season is barreling through the All Star break, several standout performers lead the awards races. [photo by Steve Dimatteo via Unsplash]

The MLB’s All-Star Week is upon us, signifying the halfway point for the season.

Certain players have emerged as dominant contributors through the first 81 games of the season. But with so many games left to play — and the regular season stretching until late September or early October — nothing is guaranteed. here’s no better time to analyze some of the frontrunners and break down each of their great seasons thus far.

National League (NL):

Manager of the Year Award: Rob Thomson

Sarnia’s Rob “Topper” Thomson seems like the current clear favourite for the Manager of the Year award. While this award has notoriously been the “most improved team” accolade, Thomson feels like an obvious choice. He is responsible for turning the Philadelphia Phillies into arguably the most successful NL team since his mid-2022 takeover.

Reliever of the Year Award: Jeff Hoffman

Another pick from the Phillies, Jeff Hoffman has come out of nowhere to become one of the game’s best relief pitchers. While technically not the team’s closer, the Phillies operate their bullpen using a closer-by-committee strategy. It’s hard to fault the guy who has ridden an elite changeup to having some of the best strikeout numbers this year.

Rookie of the Year Award:

1. Paul Skenes: The 2023 first-overall pick is here and is somehow better than advertised. Skenes’ debut was one of the most anticipated in the last decade, as he was viewed as one of the biggest can’t-miss pitching prospects ever. Skenes has delivered, posting elite numbers in every category including an earned runs average below two and a nearly 35 per cent strikeout rate. Oh, and he’s starting the All-Star game for the NL side.
  2. Joey Ortiz: The key piece returning to Milwaukee in the Corbin Burnes trade with the Baltimore Orioles, Ortiz has been the classic jack-of-all-trades player. He was always known as an elite defensive prospect at shortstop and third base, but he has upped his offensive game since becoming a full-time Major Leaguer.
  3. Shota Imanaga: Imanaga had a hot start to the season, as he racked up strikeouts with his deceptive fastball. He’s come down to earth now, but he’s still proven himself as a borderline ace-calibre talent.

Cy Young Award (best pitcher):

1. Chris Sale: Sale is the clear frontrunner in the NL. His famous slider has shown better movement than ever and he is commanding his arsenal better than any pitcher in the game this year. Going to Atlanta has revitalized the future Hall-of-Famer’s career.
  2. Zack Wheeler: Wheeler being here is something you should come to expect at this point. His consistency since the turn of the decade is enough to make him a legitimate contender for the best pitcher in baseball title. His command is elite, he’s very durable and his fastball is one of the best in the game. He is as well-rounded as a pitcher can be.
  3. Ranger Suarez: Suarez is a reliever-to-starter convert having an elite season. His absurd command and great changeup have allowed him to keep the ball on the ground, as his 53-per-cent groundball rate is one of the main reasons teams have been unable to score against him on the mound.

Most Valuable Player Award:

1. Shohei Ohtani: While Ohtani is the face of baseball, the MVP trophy didn’t seem to be on the table this year. The two-way player is limited to designated hitter status and hasn’t pitched since last year on account of his second elbow surgery in September 2023. However, his hitting has been so good, signified by the fact that he leads the National League in home runs and has a batting average in the top five. It’s simply hard to put anybody above him this year.
  2. Bryce Harper: Bryce Harper is no stranger to MVP-calibre seasons, but this one is different. This is his first year of being a full-time first baseman, a move made following an elbow surgery last year. He’s looked great in his new position and his elite hitting has been exactly as advertised.
  3. Ketel Marte: It’s incredible seeing Marte putting up a season this good again. He is showing more power from the second-base position than he has in years, allowing him to rack up great home run totals while maintaining a consistent average. 

American League (AL): 

Manager of the Year: Matt Quatraro

The Royals went from one of the worst teams in the history of their franchise to becoming a must-watch team with postseason aspirations. Thanks to the leadership of Matt Quatraro, the Royals have been able to change their fate.

Reliever of the Year: Emmanuel Clase

Emmanuel Clase has bounced back from a great but not elite 2023 season to become the best closer in baseball again. What a fantastic year thus far from an incredible pitcher.

Rookie of the Year Award:

1. Mason Miller: Relievers usually don’t get a lot of love in the awards races, but Miller should be an exception. In his first full season, the Oakland Athletics made him their closer, and he hasn’t looked back. His insane velocity and movement have made him a strikeout king, as he routinely leaves hitters no chance at hitting his fastball.
  2. Luis Gil: Gil is one of the more volatile pitchers in the game right now, as his command can be a bit shaky. However, when he has been on, he has been a game changer.
  3. Wyatt Langford: He didn’t have the best start to the season, but over the last month he has begun to heat up. Look for him to challenge for this award by year’s end.

Cy Young Award (best pitcher):

1. Tarik Skubal: The popular preseason dark horse candidate for the Cy Young award has proven all the believers right. He has easily been the best pitcher in the AL this year, and it hasn’t been close. 
  2. Garrett Crochet: There are plenty of Chris Sale vibes from this year’s version of Garrett Crochet. His fastball-cutter combination has been untouchable, as he leads the AL in strikeouts.
  3. Tanner Houck: Houck has had a fantastic start to his year, looking like a legitimate ace for the Boston Red Sox staff. His command really has been excellent, as he gets lots of quick outs and refuses to allow runners to get on via the walk.

Most Valuable Player Award:

1. Aaron Judge: Two years ago, Aaron Judge won the MVP by breaking the American League home-run record and putting together one of the best offensive seasons ever. He is currently on pace to match that 2022 campaign, making him an obvious frontrunner here.
  2. Gunnar Henderson: Henderson has a ridiculously high Wins Above Replacement (WAR) total— a stat that estimates a player’s value to a team in terms of total wins — which has become arguably the most important statistic in MVP voting. However, even with Henderson’s incredible season, it’s hard to compete against a player making history.
  3. Juan Soto: Soto is one of the smartest hitters in MLB history. He is one of the most selective hitters in baseball, which has allowed him to lead the league in on-base percentage. He is probably the most polished player at the plate, which has brought tremendous value to his New York Yankees.

Featured photo by Steve Dimatteo via Unsplash