After more than a year of bargaining for increased benefits, the Carleton University Postdoctoral Association (CUPA) and Carleton reached a settlement when the union’s membership ratified the proposed agreement on Feb. 26.

Postdoctoral fellows at Carleton conduct research with faculty members. Typically lasting for a period of two years, this position helps members of academia make the transition from studies to a research-focused workplace.

The settlement negotiated between the two parties included articles like grievance procedures, confidentiality and academic freedoms, mandated work hours, guarantees of salaries and yearly wage increases, among other benefits. Currently, the average CUPA postdoc earns $38,500 annually.

In the original draft, there were 30 articles which were brought forward, but at the beginning of February this year there were still eight articles outstanding, mostly to do with salary and leave.

Judith Brown, a Carleton postdoc and an executive member of CUPA, said the last eight articles were the “toughest” to negotiate, however in light of the forthcoming agreement she remains enthusiastic about the future.

Previously, the university made a statement claiming the union is “demanding annual percentage increases that exceed those of any other academic employee group on campus.” Brown said she disagrees, stating that prior to the settlement, postdocs had no rights as employees, and as the job market shrinks it is vital that their position as researchers not be compromised.

”What will change is working conditions for postdocs, which will be improved thanks to this new contract,” Brown said in an email. Noting the important contribution postdoctoral research adds to the Carleton academic community, other essentials such as top-up maternity leave remain to be negotiated, but CUPA is “satisfied with having a solid foundation from which to negotiate,” she said.

The settlement was reached with the help of Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) negotiators, who have successfully aided collective agreements at other Ontario universities. While the union ratified the recent proposal, on Feb. 2nd and 3rd, 93 per cent of the CUPA membership granted a strike mandate should the administration not provide substantial terms.

Steven Reid, a media relations officer for Carleton, stated “The University is looking forward to continuing to work with the Union and is committed to fostering an environment of respectful labour relations.”

CUPA has accepted the arrangement provided by the administration, yet Brown is adamant that “there is still a large gap to be breached here.”