Photo by Julien Gignac.

Former Carleton Ravens basketball player Jean Emmanuel Pierre-Charles announced this past week he intends to join the University of Ottawa (U of O) Gee-Gees basketball team in the fall.

The 6’8” forward announced in the summer he intended to transfer from Carleton and was expected to either join the Ryerson Rams or U of O.

Pierre-Charles said the decision was one he didn’t take lightly.

“To be honest, it wasn’t [U of O] right away,” he said. “I just knew when I left Carleton it was because I thought the style of play wasn’t really for me . . . going into my fourth year when I wanted a bigger role.”

When considering schools to join, Pierre-Charles said he focused on schools that both fit with his style of play and his academic needs.

“Between Ryerson and [U of O], it wasn’t easy just because I have a lot of respect for both coaches and I like how both teams play,” he said. “In terms of academics, it was easier to go to [U of O] because all my courses transferred easily.”

“Jean is an elite defender who could guard all five positions on the floor,” said U of O Gee-Gees coach James Derouin. “His athleticism and versatility will also allow him to contribute on the offensive side of the ball.”

Pierre-Charles stressed that throughout the process of transferring, he didn’t intend to disrespect anyone at Carleton.

“One thing I want to make clear is I have a lot of respect for the Ravens and their coaching staff,” he said. “Throughout this process it kind of seemed like I kind of don’t like them or something. Like I said, it wasn’t the program for me to develop. Every program has their way of playing.”

Pierre-Charles will join a Gee-Gees roster that already features a former Raven, forward Brody Maracle.

“The rivalry is already one of the best in Canadian sports,” Derouin said.

“There have been players over the years who have transferred to both teams,” he said, while citing Willy Manigat as another example, a point guard who transfered to Carleton in 2011.

“It’s part of the game and always helps give it a little extra spice for the fans,” Derouin said.

When Pierre-Charles plays against the Ravens for the first time as a member of the Gee-Gees in the fall, he said he anticipates the game to be intense.

“I expect it to be a really crazy atmosphere when we play each other,” he said. “I’ll probably be a little bit nervous, but I’m looking forward to it and if I prepare for it every day then I think I should be fine.”

The Ravens will host the Gee-Gees on Jan. 16, but fans will have to wait until the fall for Pierre-Charles’ return to the Ravens’ Nest.