Richmond, B.C. native Philip Scrubb was named CIS player of the year March 6. (File Photo by Shamit Tushakiran)

Philip Scrubb is going to need a bigger trophy case.

For the second straight season, Carleton’s prized third-year guard is the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) men’s basketball player of the year, the league announced March 6.

Last season, Scrubb became the first player to earn CIS rookie of the year and player of the year honours in back-to-back seasons and now the Richmond, B.C. native joins an exclusive club of just four others who have claimed the most outstanding player award in consecutive campaigns.

The most recent was former Ravens star Osvaldo Jeanty, who did so in 2006 and 2007.

Along with Scrubb, who averaged a team-high 18.6 points-per-game this season, fourth-year forward Tyson Hinz was named to the CIS all-Canadian team for the third straight season.

Head coach Dave Smart, meanwhile, claimed a record sixth CIS coach of the year award after leading the Ravens to a dominant 25-1 season. He is now the first coach to have won the award in three straight seasons.

Smart will have a chance to re-write the history books yet again this weekend as the CIS Final 8 gets underway at Scotiabank Place. The Ravens open the tournament the evening of Friday, March 8 against the University of Victoria Vikes – both teams share the CIS record with eight national titles apiece.