Photo by Jolson Lim

A group called the Student’s Coalition for Hygiene and Cleanliness (SCHC) have started a petition to get Carleton’s washrooms better maintained, comparing the state of the lavatories to something from The Walking Dead.

The petition specifically mentions the washroom on the third floor of the University Centre (UC), by the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) service centres.

“Those sitting in student service centres nearby often hear the screech of students in a panic discovering rivers of diarrhea and soap dispensers broken by students,” the petition states. “The overflowing toilets are neglected and students have taken it upon themselves to write warning signs on the doors.”

Kevin Gallinger, director of maintenance services at Carleton, said there have been cleanliness issues with that washroom in the past.

“Last week there was a blocked toilet in this washroom,” he said. “The plumbers responded and cleared the blockage. People may have entered the washroom before the custodians had a chance to clean up the mess.”

CUSA president Fahd Alhattab said he was unaware of the petition. He added that he would be available to help facilitate communication between the university and students concerned about the cleanliness of the washroom.

Gallinger said that washroom is cleaned the same amount as other ones on campus and that it is cleaned overnight and inspected on a regular basis. He said maintenance services has received one call about the cleanliness of the washroom on the third floor of the UC since July.

He added that during the day custodians restock supplies and clean up spills in washrooms as required.

“Floors, fixtures, toilets and mirrors are cleaned and garbage is removed.  Products like toilet paper and soap are restocked [when washrooms are cleaned],” Gallinger said.

The SCHC petition asks all students to remember proper hygiene and hand washing when using the facilities.

“Please remember to respect yourself,” it reads. “No matter where we come from we all have needs. We should be able to use the bathrooms in peace.”